• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Research for possible MTV documentary

Hello,

My name is Mick McGuire and I am doing research into a possible documentary for MTV about martial artists. I am looking for information about the 'who's who' in the martial arts world of competition. I would like to talk to someone about what we are looking into. Please respond and let me know if you think you can be of help.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Mick McGuire

MTV News & Documentaries

please email me at mick.mcguire@mtvstaff.com :kaioken:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My first instinct here it to cry foul. There is a distinct lack of criteria in your request. Further, if one is seeking out competition martial artists, the organizers of th elarge competitions are available, accessable, and can be easily reasearched by picking up a copy of black-belt magazine.

Lacking knowledge of what considerable reasources a news reasearcher would ahve at his disposal, I would still sumise that contacting the big tournaments and getting contact refernces from there would be far better than a ague solicitation of anyonomous posters from a BBS with no particular standing.

That said, this sounds very much like a hoax.

My request for information is simply casting a wide net for research. I think you may have misunderstood my request. I am in contact with WOMAA, USA Judo, ECMAA, and many others. I have also telephoned many local martial arts studios asking for thier thoughts and opinions. If they do not wish to talk to me, I thank them for their time and say goodbye. When conducting research, it is good to hear from people at all levels.

Oh man... I don't know many big names off-hand, but I really hope people on this board will direct you to arts other than Muay Thai and BJJ. *crosses fingers*

I can direct you to a couple of very legitimate 7th-10th dans, but they don't compete anymore.

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

JerryLove,

We are listed in many places, have our forums and threads indexed by Google and have a partnership with a major MA content site (KickBoxing.com). It isn't hard to find us. :)

Mick,

I would be able to organize some sort of survey, if you would like. Please contact me.

Thank you.

I assume you're look for people on a national level.

As far as people that compete often and on a national level, you may want to check out some of the people that compete in ISKA tournaments. These are the tournaments that appear on ESPN (that is, when ESPN decides to include us MA weirdos), and have quite a few talented martial artists. The main competition in forms & weapons come from Teams Charlie Lee and Paul Mitchell. I'm not too familiar with the fighting champions, however.

Of course, there are many martial artists on KarateForums; many of us are successful competitors and wouldn't mind being on MTV ;) :lol:

But seriously, we have a wide range of practitioners from many different styles; each with their own viewpoint. You never know, maybe we have a celebrity hidden in the threads.

Do you have any idea of when this will air? I expect it will be in the fairly distant future, but I'd hate to miss it.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.