• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Understanding how differently we think

dennis63

When I first started to practice karate as a (relatively) young 18-year-old back in the 1980s, I attended some events with instructors who were much older Japanese men. I noticed that they said something I found unusual.

When I did a punch, a kick, or a kata, I thought of myself as "doing karate," and used the same verb as 'doing the dishes."

But my Japanese instructors used a different English word to describe the act of performing techniques. They used the word, "Making."

After my Intro to Japanese language course, I realized that the Japanese word is the same for "doing" and "making," and they were choosing to say "making" when they spoke English.

Like an artist making a sculpture, you are making a kick. You are making a kata, as if it is a physical thing that exists, however briefly. And because it exists only for that single moment -- maybe just an instant -- it is even more valuable.

Therefore, you are trying to make the most perfect, the most beautiful and exact technique you can.

This changed my perspective in practice then, as it does today.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That is certainly an interesting way of looking at things. I haven't heard any of the Japanese or Okinawan instructors I've been involved with use "making" in place of "doing," but they tended to say the word "practice," more often than not. I do think there is something poetic about "making karate," though. Thanks for sharing!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Yeah is an interesting take on things - reminds me of the idea of making it yours and it being 'your' karate. Seems to flow naturally from that, so you 'make' your interpretation of how to execute a Mae-Geri etc.

I'm with all of you in this!! I love the "ownership" of it all. It doesn't exist until "I" create it at that very exacting moment. I too was raised to use "practice" than "make", and of course, I taught with "practice" more than "make"/"doing".

The beauty is there for sure!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!