• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate and lack of public interest...

Himokiri Karate

Its been a while and few months ago my mentor in Korean Karate left to a different town last second. We were supposed to teach a mix of TSD and TKD but he left and his master did not have time to take me in as a disciple and so I moved on to my online business as a point of focus.

I have noticed that it seems like there is a lack of interest in learning Karate and maybe because rent has gone up, people have no money, busy with relationship but mostly working all day. It seems like people are frustrated with life and tired from work force.

I am trying to learn Japanese again and my plan is to move to Japan and open a small non-profit dojo to teach karate and boxing as well. Of course its going to be a small town and not Tokyo but somewhere affordable so people are not living in an unaffordable dystopia.

Any thoughts or recommendation?

It begins with the knowledge that the severity of a strikes impact is amplified by a smaller surface area.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interest in the MA wanes just as any other want. Some of the reasons you've pointed out are felt across the business spectrum. To me, the MA is not a need but it's more of a want. Rent, food, gas, doctor, utilities, and so on and so forth are needs. Businesses that don't provide a want are going to be placed on the back burner/shelf.

Businesses have to reinvent themselves in the hopes that customers start darkening the door, but as in anything in business, there's no guarantees whatsoever.

On the other side, interest is waning in the MA because for the most, trust in the effectiveness is not there as it used to be. Why? McDojo's and it's like for the most part can be the cause. However, customers don't want to take forever and a day to earn anything, no, they want it to be handed over to them as though they deserve whatever because they spent hard earned money.

MA schools closing after being only open for 3 months has left a very sour taste in any prospective customer's mouth.

Teaching over in Japan, no matter the city, as a foreigner can be one of the most difficult things to accomplish as well as to overcome. One better be one of the best in the MA, but even then, as a foreigner in Japan wanting to open a dojo will be quite tasking all around. It's not impossible because it's been done and with great success.

Good luck and please keep us updated.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I have been retired for 10 years and just started Karate 9 weeks ago. I have alway been interested but never had time/money before. Now I have both, so here I am. Do to age and health issues probably will not achieve much in many peoples eyes. But that is ok with me, I am doing what I can.

Edited by opr1945

It is not about being better than someone else, it's about being better than you were yesterday.

Could make the argument that those who train when something is less obviously popular may be more likely to stay the course as they aren't actively seeking the next big thing.

People who are only training due to popularity may be more likely to train for a while and then leave.

To echo what sensei8 said on teaching in Japan - from anything i have heard before from people in multiple styles it would be hard to do so successfully unless you are already world renowned in that style. For example if Teddy Riner or Neil Adams decided to open a full time judo school in Japan i am sure they would get members, but generic international competitor (even though they would be amazing) i think would find it a lot harder.

It's difficult to determine why the Martial Arts haven't had the popularity that they one did, back in the "golden age" of Karate. I'm not sure what the state of clubs at universities/colleges is anymore, or if that could even help. Perhaps more people are driven to MMA, which I don't think is a bad thing. In fact, I think MMA can help drive some people to the "traditional" arts.

At any rate, things tend to be cyclical, and perhaps we can hope for an upturn over the course of the next few years.

My opinion is that BJJ and MMA are still doing pretty well. Traditional arts have been a struggle for years since the old blood and guts era but I believe since Covid and inflation it hasn’t come back around to the same level. Maybe in more time that will change but as a teacher it’s just a fact that most common people see martial arts as an activity like soccer, to us here it’s a way of life. It’s deeper to us. Most people aren’t that way so when money gets tight, it’s one of the first things to go.

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

My opinion is that BJJ and MMA are still doing pretty well. Traditional arts have been a struggle for years since the old blood and guts era but I believe since Covid and inflation it hasn’t come back around to the same level. Maybe in more time that will change but as a teacher it’s just a fact that most common people see martial arts as an activity like soccer, to us here it’s a way of life. It’s deeper to us. Most people aren’t that way so when money gets tight, it’s one of the first things to go.

I agree that BJJ and MMA are replacing a lot of traditional styles in commercial success. However, I am not aware of Karate fading away, I guess I thought Karate is probably the most recognized name in the history of martial arts and that it would draw an audience.

I agree that BJJ and MMA are replacing a lot of traditional styles in commercial success. However, I am not aware of Karate fading away, I guess I thought Karate is probably the most recognized name in the history of martial arts and that it would draw an audience.

I mean, I’m just giving my opinion but for adults I believe it has faded drastically. The amount of adults that used to take karate classes 20 years ago vs now has drastically changed, although I agree it’s universally accepted as the most popular name in martial arts for kids, however.

I have always enjoyed the teen and adult classes, teaching them that is, the most. Unfortunately 8yrs old to 12 years old or so is by far the most popular. I have seen this at many locations throughout the years.

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

Yeah i have to agree with Luther here. From what i see here it has definitely dropped off a lot - also you notice the demographic of people training is different - it's mainly kids or people who are 40's+. The 'fitter' or 'younger' crowd seem to train in muay thai, mma or bjj more here.

It might just be an issue with traditional arts in general. I've been trying to find adult judo classes again as i would like to get back into that to help my bjj but it is really hard - most classes are kids only here.

People are naturally drawn towards what they see/hear about. The media is generally focused on mma and then by extension you get a lot of exposure for bjj and thai boxing. You also don't seem to get quite as many martial arts movies making it big, which used to be a good source of interest in traditional arts.

It's likely different everywhere though. Over here, martial arts training has always been more niche, with most instructors teaching on a non profit basis (which i know is totally different to the USA model)

I personally don't think there is a lack of interest, and in fact, I think we are seeing a rise in adults wanting to practice traditional martial arts for both their physical and mental benefits.

What I am seeing though, is more mainstream sports and BJJ/MMA schools putting time and effort into creating professional studios with consistent marketing.

This is something traditional schools aren't doing, and in today's age, being a 'good school, good style, good teacher' is simply not enough and it is something new students don't appreciate as they don't understand the value of it yet, either.

Reece Cummings

Kodokan Cummings Karate Dojo

5th Dan, Matsubayashiryu (Shorinryu) Karatedo Kobujutsu

1st Dan, Yamaneryu Kobudo