• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Moo Duk Kwan

We Tang Soo Do practitioners are still around,...

I can't think of any Tang Soo Do instructors who wouldn't be happy to have a Tang Soo brother or sister come back into the fold,...

As for me, 21+ years and going strong. I'll never change styles...

Master Jason Powlette

5th Dan, Tang Soo Do

--Tang Soo!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 2 weeks later...

The Moo Duk Kwan was one of the original schools of Karate in Korea. Later when the Korean masters unified their schools into what eventually became TaeKwon-Do, GrandMaster Hwang Kee kept his school separate and used the name Tang Soo Do, which in Korean meant "The Way of the Chinese Hand" and is exactly what Karate-Do meant in Japanese. The Japanese later changed the meaning of Kara to mean"Empty" because of extreme nationalistic pressure. To reflect this change some Korean schools started using the name Kong Soo Do but most eventually adopted the name TaeKwon-Do.

Many Moo Duk Kwan masters though split to become part of the new Korea TaeKwon-Do Association and so there was Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do and Moo Duk Kwan TaeKwon-Do. Because so many Tang Soo Do masters have now started their own Tang Soo Do organizations such as the World Tang Soo Do Association and the International Tang Soo Do Federation, that Hwang Kee and his son started using the name of an old extinct Korean military martail art, Soo Bak Do. So now we have Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do, Moo Duk Kwan TaeKwon-Do, and Moo Duk Kwan Soo Bak Do.

While no doubt Tang Soo Do has evolved somewhat from it's Shotokan roots, leave no doubt that it was, and is Korean Karate and up until the late 1960's almost all Tang Soo Do instructors in this country even advertised their art as Korean Karate.

For an accurate history of Tang Soo Do and TaeKwon-Do see: http://www.indiana.edu/~iutkd/history/tkdhist.html

• 3 months later...