• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Size vs Skill

I'd like to discuss both situations.

Sounds great. Do you have some opening thoughts?

I liked what someone posted earlier in the thread about how even though they were younger and larger than their grandmasters they know they have no chance.

I think that was Montana.

I'd like to take that thought back to whether he meant to beat them in a fight, or survive long enough to get away from them.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked what someone posted earlier in the thread about how even though they were younger and larger than their grandmasters they know they have no chance.

I think that was Montana.

I'd like to take that thought back to whether he meant to beat them in a fight, or survive long enough to get away from them.

thats a good point! Another point is is it a fight within the rules of their style or outwith it? eg my much smaller grandmaster i trained under years ago would utterly destroy me in any fight under his rules (as expected) and likely in any other fight too but i would give myself a slightly higher chance if i could go outwith the striking ruleset and grapple with him. If there isn't the range to throw a proper strike with force then it becomes a little easier to smother someone/tie them up etc. Though you would likely get pieced up getting into that range!

Taking a stab at this :

1) unannounced attack the smaller guy is getting hurt tbh. I remember a quote from the boxer David Haye when he moved up from Cruiserweight to Heavyweight and he said that any male above 200lb can hit with enough force to ko someone purely due to their mass. Someone 230lb coming up behind someone much smaller and with a unnoticed attack is going to badly hurt the recipient

2) 'Where they can see them coming is a bit harder as it also depends on the style etc. If it is someone who has trained in a style heavy on contact etc then they will likely win as they will probably piece up the opponent and hurt the bigger guy. Something where they are not used to contact may be different i think. Less likely that they will hit hard enough to hold off the larger opponent and when they are grabbed they will be in a lot more trouble

I'd say a big guy getting blindsided by a smaller guy is likely to hurt, too. The blindside attack is kind of a force multiplier in a way, hence why people will do it.

• 1 month later...

Taking a stab at this :

1) unannounced attack the smaller guy is getting hurt tbh. I remember a quote from the boxer David Haye when he moved up from Cruiserweight to Heavyweight and he said that any male above 200lb can hit with enough force to ko someone purely due to their mass. Someone 230lb coming up behind someone much smaller and with a unnoticed attack is going to badly hurt the recipient

2) 'Where they can see them coming is a bit harder as it also depends on the style etc. If it is someone who has trained in a style heavy on contact etc then they will likely win as they will probably piece up the opponent and hurt the bigger guy. Something where they are not used to contact may be different i think. Less likely that they will hit hard enough to hold off the larger opponent and when they are grabbed they will be in a lot more trouble

What if they were wearing plot armor? All jokes aside, getting hit unexpectedly is a bit like 'riding the lightening.' There's a sudden flash of light, Israel Adesanya crosses your mind, and the rest is up to God.

Checkout my Insta and my original music: https://www.instagram.com/andrewmurphy1992/

Poems, Stories, other Writings: https://andrewsnotebook6.wordpress.com/

Youtube: @AndrewMilesMurphy

Taking a stab at this :

What if they were wearing plot armor? All jokes aside, getting hit unexpectedly is a bit like 'riding the lightening.' There's a sudden flash of light, Israel Adesanya crosses your mind, and the rest is up to God.

Good point - even more so if the plot armour is Batman's !

• 2 months later...
How often do spazzing white belts tap out BJJ black belts??

I don't think that it's so much that the spazzing white belts are going to make a black belt tap. However, white belts have little to no control and are just trying to get out there and prove themselves. My CI always says that when sparring you're far more likely to get injured when sparring a white belt than a black belt for that very reason.

I've often been more comfortable sparring black belts than low ranks. They have much more control and don't need to prove how tough they are. Some white belts are about a half step above the drunk in the bar who throws wild haymakers.

White belts only do what they know!! In time, the white belt begins to harness their control. I love to see a white belt get a technique in on a black belt due by their inexperience, and their lack of experience can be difficult to a black belt from time to time.

:)

I don't disagree that white belts, due to their inexperience, can be unpredictable when sparring or rolling. But I don't scared to spar with them. Sure, they might tag me, but that's on me. In all likelihood, I'm not going to have a major problem in sparring with a white belt.

Hey all :)

I think I meant to type "a lightweight spaz against an unprepared black-belt can be dangerous." I'm actually not sure what that mess I typed is, lol. I know I was trying to say though, that someone who takes a cheap shot always has the initial advantage, and the sneak-attack could be enough by itself. I think it's pretty rare for white belts to get taps without other big advantages, I've never actually seen that in person.

Though, one of my Judo coaches said, that he saw a guy's toe get torn off between the tatami during randori. Said it was hanging on by just a bit of skin. Nearly toe-less Nick, they should have called him. They sewed it back on, but apparently it was pretty bad because this coach kept ne-waza pretty short, in my opinion.

Checkout my Insta and my original music: https://www.instagram.com/andrewmurphy1992/

Poems, Stories, other Writings: https://andrewsnotebook6.wordpress.com/

Youtube: @AndrewMilesMurphy

I've heard about those stories with toes getting wedged between mats and almost ripped off. Crazy stuff. What a nightmare!

Sounds awful. I've seen mild versions of it but nothing like that.