• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

wood for makiwara and striking post

This question is for everyone, but especially for anyone who has tried and tested the idea. What type of wood would be best to build an outdoor makiiwara board and post(round type). Hard types like maple or oak or soft types such as cedar or pine? it also seems obvious that weather will determine how long these would last, which probably not as long as it might in the semi-tropical climate of Okinawa. Construction will have to be adapted to a northern temperate climate with a long cold snowy winter and much rainfall in Spring and Fall and a relatively short but very hot summer.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

For the most part I use a landscape timber that can be purchased at any home improvement store for a very reasonable low price. They stand very well against all types of weather.

They're flat on each opposite side, which makes it great to add either a pad or wrap around the timber. Installed correctly, the timber still has that same resistance with that snapping back for some give.

I started using landscape timber quite a while back because I was just tearing makawari posts up, and that was starting to be a tad pricey.

Pads VS Hemp Rope?!!? I believe that that's up to the individual. If one wants to go with hemp, and that persons conditioned for hemp, then wrap away. If not conditioned, then start with a pad first.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!