• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Went to Aikido

LOL you guys are a ton of laughs. But seriously, most of your traditional arts have proven worthless in the modern gladitorial arenas of vale tudo.

What will you do when your katas and flying roundhouse kicks fail you miserably? You should all be thanking me for trying to lead you to the light.

Giovanni

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for adding to the MMA stereotype.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only thing worse than clueless-about-kata-McDojos are UFC Factories teaching that all must pay homage to the almighty Gods of Gracie.

Can't wait 'til it's not the flavor of the month anymore.

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

Just because someone does well in the UFC under a set of rules does not mean they will do well in the streets where there are no rules. IMO, if the guy can't strike, he's gonna have his ass handed to him on a plate. More often than not, there will be more than one guy, so going to the ground is not a viable option.

I would only reccomend BJJ (or another ground grappling art) for self defense after someone is proficient in striking to become well rounded.

There are always two choices, two paths. One choice is easy and its only reward is it's easy.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

What will you do when your katas and flying roundhouse kicks fail you miserably?

Hmmm... Where have you seen a traditional dojo that teaches fighting with flying kicks? I haven't. Every one I've seen has been a modern one. And what's wrong with kata? Kata is a book of techniques. Right now the biggest selling MA books are BJJ and NHB books, why is that if books/notes are not good. Of course, if you imply that the McDojos that only do kata and nothing else, then I agree - it's like someone training BJJ from books alone. But if the book is just used as a source of new ideas that are trained in full contact live training, then I don't see your point. Kata = a book = source of ideas for training. In classes I take, we do kata for 15 minutes to warm up and remember stuff, then 1h 45min is done training some stuff with hard contact.

Some of you will no doubt notice some missing responses in this thread.

Discussion in this forum needs to be civil and respectful to all members and their styles. Bashing of other styles and down right rudeness will not be tolerated.

CheekyMusician, if you don't want to learn how to hurt someone then you should study music or flower arrangment. But if you study "MARTIAL" arts with the intention of not knowing how to hurt, then you are a human contradiction and you don't even realize it.

Don't be an ignorant fool. Of course, martial arts is training how to fight, but it doesn't mean I want to go out on the streets and pick fights. I enjoy the training, I enjoy the learning, I enjoy many aspects of the martial arts, and I enjoy sparring in the dojo. I do not want to go out looking for trouble and starting fights.

Even in a self defence situation I would not want to seriously injure my adversary. I would want to stun him/her enough so I can run and escape, I do not want to do any more damage than is necessary.

Of course martial arts will teach me how to hurt people, but I don't want to apply that knowledge outside of the dojo, unless I am forced to use it in highly unlikely, extreme circumstances where the statement made in the above paragraph will apply.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.