• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Went to Aikido

I've been going to karate for about 5 or 6 months now and have become a bit obsessed with martial arts, so I decided to start something else.

There was an aikido class nearby so I phoned the guy who ran it, and visited it today. I just watched from the viewing gallery, so I didn't participate or speak to anyone in the class, but I liked what I saw.

It looked a lot harder than karate (but I guess that's just a matter of perspective. I suppose some people are grapplers and some aren't), but I think it would be worth the challenge.

The falls looked difficult and painful, but the class is small (only about 9 pupils) so it should mean that the instructor would no doubt be able to spend a lot of time with pupils individually.

Anyway, I'm going to go along next week with one of my dad's friends and give it a go (hopefully, although my dad's friend might be a bit relucant to try it as she said she wants to watch a class first but didn't come with me tonight).

Anyway, YAY! I'm looking forward to giving it a go! :karate:

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent, good for you. Its a great style.

If you need any pointers or help just PM me.

Chris.

I sure will once I get started and get stuck (which is very likely!) :wink:

I think I'll be pooping my pants before going to class next week though. At the beginning of class they were practicing their falls and it looked like they were just chucking themselves at the floor from a standing position. I was grimicing every time one of them hit the ground! It must of hurt! Ouchies! :( :o

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

At the beginning of class they were practicing their falls and it looked like they were just chucking themselves at the floor from a standing position. I was grimicing every time one of them hit the ground! It must of hurt! Ouchies! :( :o

Having just started 5 months ago myself, let me tell you to make sure you take extra time to learn to fall correctly (ukemi). It might hurt the first few times you do a breakfall, but once you know how it doesn't hurt at all. Let us know how it goes.

Aikido (AAA) - http://www.aaa-aikido.com

6th Kyu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu - http://www.elite-martial-arts.com

White belt

Don't worry too much about the falling practice you watched, very few instructors willl start a new student with standing flat falls. Most teach rolling and flat falls from kneeling first, which cuts the momentum of both the fall and the impact down considerably. As the last person suggested I would be very diligent in my practice of ukemi, because developing bad habits now will definately lead to injuries later. I for one had to learn the hard way.

Good luck in your practice.

Matt Gilliard

Shodan- Yoseikan Aikido

Shodan- Goshin Jujitsu

It looked a lot harder than karate (but I guess that's just a matter of perspective. I suppose some people are grapplers and some aren't), but I think it would be worth the challenge.

It's a bit of an exact science in a lot of ways... but well worth it when you reach proficiency.

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

Excellent, good for you. Its a great style.

If you need any pointers or help just PM me.

Chris.

Why PM? There might be others who could benefit from the answers and pointers in one of the forums. :D

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.