• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tumble Drying Karate Gi

I know that all over the internet, everyone says to hang dry their gi (i.e., never throw it in the dryer).

I've been following this for quite some time, but now I'm considering throwing it in the dryer.

What makes the karate gi so different from other 100% cotton clothing we wear and throw in the dryer? The claim is that the fabric will ruin in a shorter amount of time, making the gi not last as long.

But I'm also of the mind that if I get less usage out of the gi before it's time for me to retire it, then it might just be a fair price to pay for the saved time and convenience of throwing it in the dryer.

What are everyone's thoughts?

History:

Kobayashi Shorin-ryu, 2019 - 2023: Rokkyu

Shotokan, 2023 - Present: Yonkyu

Judo, 2023: Novice

Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, 2023 - Present: White Belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've always tumbled dried my gi forever because that's how I was taught by my mom and grandma. Shrink concerns, if any, were always considered when I bought a new gi. So, almost 7 decades later, I still tumble dry my gi. As far as the gi not lasting long if tumbled dried, well, nothing lasts forever.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

The main issue i have always found is shrinkage. If you tumble dry it then it will shrink, however, if you have bought one that is a little big and are shrinking it to fit then you may have already experienced all of the shrinkage so the dryer would be fine.

Personally i always hang dry it as i do shrink them a little to fit but i am aware that it could shrink more and don't want to chance it. I usually find that a karate gi hang dries in a day. BJJ gi's are a little more annoying and usually take a couple of days i find.