• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Need info on Judo, Please.

Hiya all.

I was wondering about Judo. I found a Dojo in my town. I was wondering about the techniques learned. Don't turn this into "well, this grappling art is better" argument. I am wondering about Judo, because this place is close, affordable, and seems to be a good place (from word of mouth). So if anyone has info on what is taught at each belt rank (rank doesn't matter, I'm just using it as a gauge on what is taught). Like "kata" (if any), self defense type techniques, throws, falls, ect. If anyone knows of a site with mpegs and info, that'll be even better :)

Thanks in advance :)

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well.........Aikido is a better grappling art. :lol:

Just kidding Judo is really amazing.

From what little I know about it, and it is a little.

You are taught basic hand, hip, leg and body throws. As well as lots of breakfalling and Ne-waza (ground work).

I dont know of any amazing sites, but Amazon sells lots of good books. Especially any of the "master class" books published by Ippon.

Good Luck.:)

It is always better to join the affordable nearby school you can continue with than go to the one which teaches "the ultimate dream art" but due to costs or timetable you are never able to attend. (This piece of wisdom assumes the affordable school is not one of the famous McDojo franchice line)

Even if the judo is taught with sport rules in mind and lacks some of the realistic good self defence tactics which are taught in some other schools, you get what is called "the delivery system" from it.

If you get real good with judo, someone can show you a nice neck manipulation crank in a seminar and you are instantly able to make it work because you already have the base delivery system. On the other hand, if you try to study an art which teaches all the neat stuff but the school is far away and costs a fortune to train in and because of all this, you only attend once a week, you get to know lots of neat techniques but because of lack of basic training you never get very proficient in applying the neat techniques as you don't have "the delivery system".

Hope you understand my rant, English is not my first language and I wrote this is a hurry. :dodgy:

Thanks for the site, Bhayl. Good stuff on there.

Kirves, I do understand :) You do make a good point. The TKD MDK dojang I want to go to is 45 minutes away. It's a good place and only $75 a month (cheap for this area). The weather is playing a major role here. We are getting "slammed" every other day with snow. It's hard to get there.

But the Judo dojo is right here and it's only $25 a month (it's in a YMCA). I heard good things about it. I'll check it out next weekend.

Thanks all.

Laurie F

YES!!! Take Judo you won't regret... Judo, even if its a sport, will teach you valuable things for real figthing, for example, you'll do free-sparring (randori) against a resisting oponent.. You'll learn throws and takedowns, if you feel you depend too much on the GI to do them, well, just take off the GI and try the takedowns and you'll see they work, you just need to change the grips a little its all body movements, and Also, you'll learn submissions on the ground.

Self defense, No problem, just take the Judo Rule Book and go to the " forbidden" techniques and there's your manual for Judo self defense. lol

Also, it won't hurt to check some videos of BJJ (more groundfighting techniques), Sambo (for Leg locks), Wrestling (more No Gi takedowns) , catch as catch can wrestling/Submission Wrestling (for painfull non conventional submissions), all those arts blend perfectly with Judo.

For Strikes? well, you seem to have a strong base on Strikes so just keep practicing them.

Hope this Help..

Thanks, Sub. I do have a strong base in "striking arts." I am looking for more what you are speaking of. I will definitely look into all those. You have any good websites I could look at? I am limited to what arts I have to choose from in my area, but if I find good sites, like I did with Thai boxing, I could pick it up and learn it. I will definitely check out the Judo Dojo :)

Laurie F