• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Old, stiff and overweight, now what?

Hey guys, I want to say thanks in advace for the replies, I have been doing alot of research on this already and found various views but this board seems to be VERY knowledgeable.

My situation, I am 32 years old, five feet nine inches and 300+ pounds and need to get in shape. I do walk just a little a few times a week, some hiking, but not enough.

Typical walking on the treadmill is BORING, and I decided I needed to find an exercise that I won't be looking at the clock going, only 10 minutes left, 9.5 minutes, ooo only 8.3 minutes left, etc. I was considering various sports and came up with Martial Arts. (Yeah!)

I took Judo for about 2-3 months or so, about 8 years ago and really enjoyed the grappling and throws but an overzealous higher belt twisted my knee around 3 different directions during a throw and I could barely walk for almost a month. The senior instructor was a really nice guy, but the gym was an Aikido place primarily and the Judo was just something he was doing on the 'off' days.

(He was not the owner of the Aikido or main instructor there.) I felt like that the high level guy should not have been practicing his higher level throws on me in the first place and decided that was probably not the place to return. Throwing around, at that point, a 260lb guy is not easy to do, especially when I am not very good at 'falling' or 'being light on my feet' and even though I fell, it wasnt pretty and not the way it was intended I am sure.

So now...I got to find something that will fit me and my body type. There is a Jujitsu place in Kernersville that looks good but their schedule really won't fit with mine. I have found an interesting "Karate" school http://www.kikville.com but I am not sure which style they lean towards. I sent the school a message asking for more info etc.

SO I guess my question is this, I need the exercise, everything I am reading says TKD is not a great fit for my body type, these forums seem to suggest Karate may be a good fit, I enjoyed the Judo and grappling/throws, what should I look for?

My other/final question is this: Judo/Ju-Jitsu is really good for the little guy against the big guy. So what is really good for the big guy against the little one? I already have the size, my legs are extremely strong, how/what will give me the advantage?

If you were going against a BIG guy like me, what is it you are hoping I wouldn't know? For instance, in Judo, I could see how my strength could add speed (and distance) to the throws, add momentum if you will? I have a feeling my legs would kick like a MULE, but not very high since I am old/stiff! :D Course I am NEWBIE so I could be wrong...

So, just like a million others...what about ME.... :P

TIA....Sam Hinton[/url]

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well I'm not an expert (I've only been doing karate for a few months myself), but I reckon Shotokan karate would be a good place for you to start.

There wouldn't be throws and stuff involved though unless you went to one of the mixed style type of dojos

You wouldn't have to worry about not kicking high etc. because any decent club would expect you to go at your own pace and kick progressively higher when you felt ready to do so. After training for a few months you would probably realise that you flexibility will have increased quite a lot and so, hopefully, will your fitness.

Good Luck! :wink:

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

I can sympathize with part of your dilemma, being of slightly over average height and 50 or so pounds overweight and so inflexible that I cannot touch my toes even after ten years of trying. I am terribly sory to hear that you were injured in a Judo class, because it would be a definate good choice for your body type. A Shotokan school would definately be a good idea, and the previous post is correct; height in kicking is something that varies from student to student and any good instructor knows that and will work with you at the limits of your abilities. I do think that if you enjoyed Judo that Jujitsu would be a good choice, and to answer your question it does work for the big guy as well as the little guy. One of the most impressive instructors in our dojo is a guy that for the majority of his training looked like a junior Sumo wrestler. He's lost some weight to be sure, but he's still a big big man.

Just keep in mind to work with your limitations, work through discomfort while not pushing so hard as to risk injury. Being overweight and inflexible is not insurmountable in the martial arts. If it was I wouldn't have made it this far.

Good luck in your practice.

Matt Gilliard

Shodan- Yoseikan Aikido

Shodan- Goshin Jujitsu

Here's what you do. Join an Okinawan Karate school. In the Okinawan Karates, you can make use of your leg strength with the powerful kicks, while also learning throws, since that's what you enjoy. It also is very good exersize.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

I agree with all these guys. Judo/Sambo are probably great for your body type. If you have a whole lot of hand strength you will be nasty in Jujitsu (people get docile real quick when their fingers are being folded in three directions). Shotokan will turn you into a bulldozer. And Okinawan Karate will take advantage of your leg strength in kicks without doing the kinds of things you'd see in TKD that require a lot of flexibility. Kyokushin Karate might be good too if you don't mind getting really bruised.

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

I had to think about this; but the best thing is just to visit a nearby school and start trying the arts that are available in your area. Shorin ryu would be a good choice as would many of the other things that have been suggested. Just find something and give it a try. The first thing you try may not be the one so keep an open mind. Just do something.

Hey thanks for all the quick responses!!! I also asked a guy who I seriously respect his opinion (a been there, KILLED that kinda martial artist, ex-SF, etc) and his thoughts are the same as many of yours.

He also said do SOMETHING, but suggested specificially the Ju-jitsu, Hapkido and "hard style" Aikido. There is an interesting looking Ju-jitsu place I think I mentioned called American Combat jujitsu and the only issue is the hours, but long term those hours will be ok actually.

The one other note from him was to start both a Cardio program and Strength training, (the more muscle you have, more calories you burn, you can lose weight faster) and I hope to start both of those as well.

Again, thanks and if there is any other suggestions I am wide OPEN! This is something I always wanted to do, I hate that I waited this long, but I am really looking forward to the training and GOOD HEALTH!!!

Sam Hinton

Hey Big Orange, I can relate. I'm six foot and about 300 lbs. I teach and study kenpo, a brown belt in juijitsu and okinawan weapons (only started those after black belt in karate).

I see a lot of adults come into our dojo, most are not in the best of shape or have the flexability, but after about 8 months or so, they tell me how much they've lost and how good they feel. I also notice their progression of flexability getting better and better through the ranks - even the lower ranks.

My suggestion is to take some form of karate. In a martial art like karate you move your entire body, much like an aerobic workout except you actually get to learn something. If you really like the juijistu I would incorporate that but not until you have a black belt in karate first. The two of these arts combined make for a pretty well rounded martial artist.

I surprise a lot of people in self defense and sparing because they expect a big person to be slower. My many years of training have made me quicker on my feet. Now I have size and speed, not to mention power.

Also, portion size and what you eat are very importan keys to wight loss, not just exercising.

Good luck! :)

NidanWarrior