• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

So many styles...

My advice to you is visit various dojos in you area. Get out your local yellow pages and make a list or schools that sound interesting. Then visit them and ask if you can either watch or participate in a class. Some dojos will let you study a class for free or pay a small mat fee. I would highly reccomend not studying at a school that requires you to sign a long term contract. I know somebody who bought a "life time" contract with a certain martial arts school. I won't mention any names, but it begins with a T and ends with a Schulman. I would never go to a school that treats my training like a Jack LaLane membership. Do your research, and you won't go wrong. As far as styles go, they all have something to offer. I would tend to worry more about school than style

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you had problems with your knees ... stay away from Shotokan. It's a great style, but it would increase your problems with the knees because of its low stances (not used in sparring, but very important in kihon. kata and conditioning). Regarding your wish to learn very quicklly some techniques, go to some style already mentioned by other members.

Try to chose a place near your home, take a style you like, don't forget to watch some classes and have fun :)

im 17 and 140 so we have a little in common

bjj is a grappling martial art, using, throws+takedowns+submissions to defeat an attaker, i also study boxing to incorporate the striking element,

good luck

"When we go to the ground,you are in my world, the ground is the ocean, I am the shark,

and most people don't even know how to swim"

I, like ginge1980, practice Wado Ryu.

And I wholly reccomend it if you are willing to dedicate your life to it.

If you are looking to improve your fighting skills quickly, it will not help you much. Karate is something that takes years to gain effectiveness in.

If you want to get into shape and improve the skills you have quickly, I recomend boxing, kickboxing or muay thai.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

In my humble opinion....(see: Disclaimer)...you're half right.

They say it takes a lifetime to master, what they often fail to mention is that you're forever a student, no matter how many stripes you have on your belt, or how many plaques you have on the wall....once a person realizes they'll always be a student in some regard, that's when the true learning begins. ;-)

I, like ginge1980, practice Wado Ryu.

And I wholly reccomend it if you are willing to dedicate your life to it.

If you are looking to improve your fighting skills quickly, it will not help you much. Karate is something that takes years to gain effectiveness in.

If you want to get into shape and improve the skills you have quickly, I recomend boxing, kickboxing or muay thai.

---

You can run....

...but why die tired?

hey, i am new here and i was wondering many things. first off i am 16 years old and weight 150 pounds. i was wondering what fighting style would fit me most. my friend took muy thai for a while and said it was fun but it was hard on his knees etc. i was also wondering about bruce lee's style called jett kun do or something like that. it sounds fun but it also sounds like it would take a whole lot of time.

i would like to know what style would be most available because i live in arizona where i might not be able to fight a place to train me in the rarer styles. i am interested in the boxing aspect of muy thai but the other styles also sound interesting. please help me narrow it down by describing diffrent styles etc. thanks.

p.s. i was also wondering about brazillian style fighting, ive heard of it but i dont know exactly what it isthanks

Hey budd,I'm a muay thai fighter and I can tell you this much,Muay Thai Kickboxing is not hard on your knees if anything it's harder on your shins since we use our shins alot to do our kicks.

Karate,Kung Fu and Tae kwon do are arts that are hard on your knees because of their katas(forms)

Let me give you some advice,first think about why you want to do martial arts before joining.Is it to keep in shape?Then any art is okay,but keep in mind that traditional arts can be uncomfortable if you have bad knees.Before I took up MuayThai,I did karate for 12yrs.

Now if you want to do martial arts for self-defense and street-defense ignore ALL TRADITIONAL ARTS,because they are useless for that.

You want self-defense do something like MuayThai,Boxing,Submmision Wrestling,Jujitsu,Judo,Shooto or Pankration,etc.something realistic that avoids B.S katas and specifically teaches self-defense.

The arts I mentioned are the best ones I can think of.

Muay Thai is considered to be one of the best and most effective arts around the world,always has been and always will be.However every art on its own is limited,so I'd suggest shooto or pankration.

I do Pankration,but fight muaythai.

Pankration is combination of MuayThai Kickboxing and Submission Wrestling.

So we do both stand up and grappling.

I did karate 12 yrs and now have done Pankration 4yrs.I learnt alot more of fighting techniques in those 4yrs and improved my fighting more,then I did in those 12yrs of karate.

Look at it this way,a traditional artist is good at katas,but suck at fighting.

A muay thai fighter is one of the best at stand up,but would do terrible on the ground just like a grappler will do terrible in stand up fight.

To be good at both you need an art that teaches both,which will make you a well rounded fighter. :karate: