• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

So many styles...

hey, i am new here and i was wondering many things. first off i am 16 years old and weight 150 pounds. i was wondering what fighting style would fit me most. my friend took muy thai for a while and said it was fun but it was hard on his knees etc. i was also wondering about bruce lee's style called jett kun do or something like that. it sounds fun but it also sounds like it would take a whole lot of time.

i would like to know what style would be most available because i live in arizona where i might not be able to fight a place to train me in the rarer styles. i am interested in the boxing aspect of muy thai but the other styles also sound interesting. please help me narrow it down by describing diffrent styles etc. thanks.

p.s. i was also wondering about brazillian style fighting, ive heard of it but i dont know exactly what it is. thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
What fits you mentally is probably more important than what fits you physically. We could probably help you more if you explained why you're interested in martial arts, what you want to achieve with it (physically and philosophically), what sorts of things relating to martial arts do and don't appeal to you, whether you'd like to focus on power/speed/fluidity/etc or punching/kicking/grappling/etc... that kind of thing. Explaining your preferences is probably easier than cataloging every available martial art and every type of person who teaches it :).

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

You would probably be best to look round about where you live and find what schools are available before you start to make a decision.

Once you know what there is, visit as many schools as possible and see what style you like best. Do some research on the 'net about styles and ask questions at the schools you visit and then choose.

Good luck!

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

I agree with omnifinite, you have to see what you want from martial arts.

Here is a general guide

"Martial arts" - Long time to get good at, very complete and complicated Philosphies. Aikido, Japanese Jujutsu, Ninjutsu, Karate, Hapkido, TKD, Gung Fu in general especially Tai Chi, Hsing I and Ba Gua and the external styles like Wing Chun, Shaolin......etc

"Martial Sports" - takes less time to get good at, very competitive. TKD, Judo, BJJ MT, western boxing and western kick boxing.

"Self Defences arts" - usually very easy to learn, but alot of dication needed (That goes for all Martial Arts in general). Jeet Kun Do, Mauy Thai, Brazillian Jiu Jitsu, certain styles of karate, Krav Maga.......etc

This is, ofcourse, only my opinion and it varies from individual style and taste in MA.

Good Luck in your search.

hey, i am new here and i was wondering many things. first off i am 16 years old and weight 150 pounds. i was wondering what fighting style would fit me most. my friend took muy thai for a while and said it was fun but it was hard on his knees etc. i was also wondering about bruce lee's style called jett kun do or something like that. it sounds fun but it also sounds like it would take a whole lot of time.

p.s. i was also wondering about brazillian style fighting, ive heard of it but i dont know exactly what it is. thanks

Welcome to the forums.

You don't say why you want to learn a fighting style - this would help us advise you. Do you want a sport, fitness, self defence, movie-style moves, or what?

There are two significant brazilian forms that I know of.

One is BJJ or Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, which is mostly a form of wrestling and seems very well thought of on these forums.

The other is Capoeira, one of the most unusual martial arts (I'd love to try it, but no clubs nearby). It could be described as a cross between martial arts, dancing and basic gymnastics...

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

hey. from what you described i would most likely want to try self defense or martial sports (even though i dont plan on being competitive). i would mostly like get get more power into my punches etc becuase im rather small so im pretty fast.

i want to learn how to fight for fitness, self defense, to get my fighting skills up so i would have them if i needed them, and those sorts of things. spirituality and what not have nothing to do with it.

Muay Thai is good (I have studied it on my own ..... or the Thai boxing version ...... very good:) ). If you are looking more for self defense, I'd look at Hapkido, jujitsu, Muay thai, or JKD. I don't know about many other styles. Someone else who knows more about other styles can help (I'm a Korean arts geek that wants to venture out also).

Find out what's in your area. We can help you out from there (as far as self defense). But you have to be happy with what you pick. It's not what about what WE want. It's about what YOU want.

Laurie F

I practice wado ryu i find it very good for all aspects of ma

it covers grappling kicks punches knees elbows locks throws

its quite traditional and balenced as for philosiphy you can take it or leave it!

you only get out what you put in!