• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

American Karate

americankarategal

I have learned a few things about assuming also, just because an instuctor has a "blackbelt" doesn't mean they are knowledgable about their art. I guess I am crazy because I am really the only one that wants to these things at my dojo as far as the adults, but when he asked me to teach an after-school program I wanted to actually teach more than just technique, I wanted them to get a good feel for why they where learning Karate and tie in the mind, body, and spirit, as welll as history. I had them do a journal writing in yesterdays class, it was a series of 5 questions example: what is the most important part of Karate to you? I got some answers that really made me feel good, some said the history :idea: (imagine that), one said the realationship between sensei' and student, others said learning about yourself and self-defense. I am making a big bulletine board for the whole school to see. Even sensei' said "I need to build a closer relationship with my students like you have .....I think it has made a big difference in your program..." I am very close to all of my students. I make them b-day cakes and we have a party that day...they come to my house, I take them bowling ect...but in return I get their respect and they look up to me. Best of all if they have problems and feel they can't talk to parent's or others they all know they can come to me and most of them have. I do encourage them to talk to mom or dad in all situations, beacause that's the right thing to do..but I will always be available when they need me.

Anyways this post is getting long.....I am glad this has helped you.....It has helped me too...... :wink:

AmericanKarateGal

blue belt in American Karate

white belt in RyuKyu Kempo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have something in common, then ;) I also learned the same thing with one of my instructors. I can talk to him about anything, even to gripe about the school, or just "vent." He'll listen, then we talk it over. I didn't like him at first, but I found out that he is a pretty nice, and understanding fellow. I also found out that he is the "main man" of the school, not the master instructor. Oh well. go figure :)

Laurie F