• 3 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that mugens tend to be on the baggy side, but I believe that most modern karate outfits are "loosely"fitted, even the long obis. Uniforms and obis used to be lot more snug fitted than they are today, including the much shorter obis (which is what I prefer). When it comes to fit, BJJ gis are what I would prefer; but, when I once wore my BJJ trousers to karate class, I noticed there was more limitation on movement.

Edited by R5ky

I agree that mugens tend to be on the baggy side, but I believe that most modern karate outfits are fitted, even the long obis. Uniforms and obis used to be lot more fitted than they are today. When it comes to fit, BJJ gis are what I would prefer; but, when I once wore my BJJ trousers to karate class, I noticed there was more limitation on movement.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I agree that mugens tend to be on the baggy side, but I believe that most modern karate outfits are fitted, even the long obis. Uniforms and obis used to be lot more fitted than they are today. When it comes to fit, BJJ gis are what I would prefer; but, when I once wore my BJJ trousers to karate class, I noticed there was more limitation on movement.

Interesting observation and likely also depend on the bjj gi brand. My Atama ones probably have similar levels of movement to my karate ones but my shoyoroll ones maybe a little less.

I only have experience with a generic amazon brand and Fuji, it made my kicks feel restricted to some extent.

What i noticed was the 'rip stop' style ones i have seemed to have decent movement but the heavier cotton one didn't. Though is probably best to just use a karate gi at karate and a bjj gi at bjj!

• 3 months later...
I recently bought one and was very impressed with it apart the large customs charge I got! 🤦‍♂️ nevermind

The customs charge is always annoying - even more so since it is not always consistently applied!

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I just ordered two sets for my son. I REALLY wanted to order him a Japanese brand (I ordered two sets of Shureido for my older daughter), but he just doesn't seem to be as into karate as she is, and he is also not as good at taking care of his things as she is.

In any case, I would say that at face value, they're unbeatable at that the price that they go for. They look just like more expensive brands, in terms of the cut and materials.

But here's where the problems come. If you're of a slender shape and don't need anything hemmed, you're good to go. If you do need it hemmed, and you don't mind the regular one-line stitch (which makes your gi look cheap and reduces the snap), you're also good to go.

But to get the same hem that the gi comes with, my local alteration shop $38 for the pants, and $38 for the sleeves. Thankfully, my son only needed the pants hammed. Otherwise, if he needed pants AND sleeves, this would add $76 per gi.

By the time you do this, you're probably better off ordering a Japanese gi off of kuroobiya.com. Tokyodo hems for free, and the other brands (Tokaido, Hirota, and Hayate) hem for an even lower price than the cheap one-stitch hem that your local alteration shop charges.

KI International needs to offer the same service. If they did, it would undoubtedly be the best deal for the money out there.

History:

Kobayashi Shorin-ryu, 2019 - 2023: Rokkyu

Shotokan, 2023 - Present: Yonkyu

Judo, 2023: Novice

Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, 2023 - Present: White Belt