• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Tenants of Taekwon-Do"

Does anyone know them? the TENANTS of TKD a.k.a concepts of TKD.

It seems that this part of TKD is the most important part that is never really discussed.

Does every TKD stylists know what they are?

do you practice them?

are you a true martial artists.

ah...let's look inside...and learn.

what about some examples from the TKD artists of this forum on the usage of using these concepts of Taekwon-Do.

tenants that have made TKD the great art that it is today and has been for centuries.

it will take some effort on the cerebral part. if you have no example simple move on to the next post and talk about kicking someone's ass or something physical or maybe judging a matial artists age 5 to 75 that you don't even know.

let's talk serious for a change...

I know it's hard for most people to talk about the arts without using their ego or violence...but let's try.

"To Win is to try and Succeed,

To learn is to try and fail,

to lose is to not try at all."

Peace,

Good luck everyone,

Jerry

http://www.jerrytrimble.tv

[ This Message was edited by: Jerry Trimble on 2001-08-23 08:46 ]

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JERRY TRIMBLE; thank you for bringing this to light here. i do share your opinions on this subject. i also feel that in todays world these concepts should be practiced and incorperated into everyone's life that share the training of taekwondo, so that it may be possible to pass on to others that don't practice the art.

TENETS OF TAEKWONDO:

1) COURTESY

2) INTEGRITY

3) PERSEVERANCE

4) SELF-CONTROL

5) INDOMITABLE SPIRIT

TAEKWONDO PHILOSOPHY:

1) BE HONEST, ALWAYS STAND FOR JUSTICE

2) RESPECT AND HELP EACH OTHER

3) BE LOYAL AND COURTEOUS

humble respects with a bow :nod:

rushman (karate forums sensei)

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

"saying nothing...sometimes says the most"--e. dickerson

Years ago in our TKD school in Newport Kentucky, we also had our Student Oath...

I shall observe the tenants of Taekwon-do,

I shall respect instructors and seniors,

I shall never misuse taekwon-do,

I will be a champion of freedom and justice,

I will strive to build a more peaceful world.

Peace,

Jerry

http://www.jerrytrimble.tv

Great post, Jerry!! :up:

I'm a kickboxer, however our creed is a good one and I thought I'd share it with you:

I intend to develop myself in a positive manner, and to avoid anything that could reduce my mental growth or physical health

I intend to develop self-discipline, to bring out the best in myself and my fellow man.

I intend to use what I learn in class constructively and defensively; to help myself and others and never to be abusive or offensive.

I shall be loyal to my instructors and Champions Academy.

This is a Champions School! We are decicated! We are motivated! We are on a quest to be our best!

We then bow and say "Ouss!"

Lori :wave:

If you think something small cannot make a difference - try going to sleep with a mosquito in the room.

-Unknown-

Hey Kickbutt

Is your school part of the United Profesionals? My school recently joined UP, and our creed is very similar to yours

C ya

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

Hi Tobias,

No, we aren't - we're part of the SKF - Sport Kickboxing Federation. I really like our creed - it's a great motivator just before class.

Cheers!

Lori

If you think something small cannot make a difference - try going to sleep with a mosquito in the room.

-Unknown-

here's our oath:

we as members shall follow the tenets of taekwondo.

we as members will be honest, stand for justice, and respect all life.

we as members are united in mutual friendship.

we as members will comply with regulations and obey instructors.

rushman (karate forums sensei)

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

"saying nothing...sometimes says the most"--e. dickerson

we teach tenets of taekwon do over and over..now where do they go when you show up at a tournament.?.right out the window!!!all of the sudden everyone turns into politicians or cry baby sore losers...for the most part respect..courtesy...integrity..they take the back burner..another reason i dont like sporting events in martial arts...im not speaking about everyone there are some people that come out and are great sportsmen but for the most part my expereince has been these events are circus like

Javier l Rosario

instructor taekwondo/hapkido

under master Atef s Himaya

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

It's sad when things like that happen. I've been fortunate so far in my tournaments. example:The U of M club gets together with the MI tech club every year for a tournament. Everyone treated the other guy with respect and admiration (gee that was great when you... and could you show me how you..). We all (>100) ordered pizza afterwards(pizza hut guy nearly fainted: How many pizza's?!). It was fun and a real chance to get together as martial artists. Isn't this what TKD should be about?

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare