• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Am not familiar with the combatives course. I have taken a few of the GRACIE defensive tactics courses for law enforcement. How long is the course, what does it entail, and what is the rank you come out with?

Check out this link for more information.

http://www.gracieuniversity.com/Pages/Public/Course?enc=vsGdmSaTikLU4BRiE% 2fqMwA% 3d% 3d

I watched the content and samples of people's tests on YouTube, and regardless of what anyone thinks about video testing, I think it's wonderful for learning the fundamentals of JJ that can be used for self defense in the real world.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.gracieuniversity.com/Pages/Public/Course?enc=vsGdmSaTikLU4BRiE% 2fqMwA% 3d% 3d

I watched the content and samples of people's tests on YouTube, and regardless of what anyone thinks about video testing, I think it's wonderful for learning the fundamentals of JJ that can be used for self defense in the real world.

Do you have to practice the techniques 'live' with a training partner? IF so then it could work but otherwise i doubt it.

I would liken it to an instructional dvd. Initially you can view a technique and be confident you know the sequence etc but un til you have tried it on a live resisting opponent then you don't really know where it will fall apart and are unlikely to be able to apply it. The more experience someone has then the more likely they are to be able to just apply the technique, since it is more than likely a modification of a technique they already know / another application of a principle they can already apply etc.

I can see how it would be useful to see how some things work but without pressure testing on a resisting opponent then i doubt it would be of any real use - indeed it might be dangerous as it leads to a false sense of confidence in a real situation.

It is possible to get to a good standard learning techniques from videos but you have to then drill them strongly against resisting opponents. My original BJJ coach (he is a legit BB) started out this way and attended as many seminars etc as he could with BJJ BB's to get input on the techniques etc and improve his skills. Is a tough road though and needs a lot of dedication and self awareness

Per the webmaster, I'm not authorized to view. How rude.

:P

**Proof is on the floor!!!