• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Goju Ryu in MMA, and the different Goju Ryu styles

Shojiko

By all means!

In my opinion, any attention to Okinawan or (any Karate styles for that matter) that showcases in MMA or full contact resistance is priceless.

It will be interesting to hear more about fighters with Wado Ryu and Uechi Ryu background utilizing their techniques in MMA competitions. While I am not aware of any well-known fighters practicing them, despite the fact that I am aware of their effectiveness! a Good example for instance would be seiji nishimura of Wado Ryu, guy is incredible at kumite

now back to the Goju Links you posted

It's intriguing because one of the remarks beneath the YouTube links you provided criticizes the Goju Ryu sparring as resembling MMA.

Owner of the video's response was as follows:

"Irikumi, a traditional type of Karate sparring that included grappling and striking, was kept by schools like Goju-ryu and subsequently evolved into competition in the 1980s.

MMA is younger than Irikumi."

That's a fascinating piece of information about Goju that I didn't know.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes goju has done a much better job of keeping its grappling than shotokan and many other styles have.

I think you’ll find with most goju schools they had sparring (if not competition) that resembles MMA to some level, or kyokushin rules.

While I’m sure you’ll still have no real trouble finding goju schools that fit the mcdojo archetype I think in goju it’ll be much less common place than other styles.

Unfortunately, Shotokan's traditional curriculum doesn't really use many grappling techniques. Some Shotokan lineages do teach throws but at higher dan levels.

In contrast to strikes, the bunkai breakdown of my Shorin Ryu training featured more stand-up grappling and throwns.

I actually came across those videos you posted

here is the one with Meitetsu Yagi sensei at Goju-ryu Yagi dojo in Okinawa.

10 man kumite with the bigger gentlemen going nonstop for 14 minutes. They were hurling everything they could think of at him. His third opponent had excellent technique.

i just purchased a book with a long ol' title, that's supposed to have some indepth information about goju. some sort of desk reference, the author was featured in the goju episodes from the art of one dojo YT channel.

i'll let you all know what i think about it.

That's some good looking sparring. That would be fun to do.

This is something I find interesting.

Karate and likely many other TMAs typically refer to competitions as sparring, whereas more modern combat sports people tend to draw a hard line between sparring and their actual competitions.

So far I’m only 30 or so pages in. Nothing particularly interesting in regards to training related information.

Apparently some fancy martial arts committee labeled goju as an ancient Japanese martial art, the only style of karate to be recognized as such