• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

DarthPenguins Training log of an unfit person!

Update for this week : taking it quite easy session wise this week as i have my several times postponed 1st kyu grading on Saturday and i don't want to pick up an injury lifting or at judo and have to cancel it again (my CI will probably murder me if thats the case!!). Limiting myself to Monday's BJJ, Wednesday Karate this week prior to Saturday to err on the side of caution!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wednesday 12 June

Karate Session

Final exercise session until Saturday!

Worked through a dry run of the grading and also did every possible kata i could be asked to perform: will be Bassai Dai and one of the Heian katas. Couple of minor points that were useful too pre grading.

Was also a classic case of good news / bad news: during the session i was really pleased with a couple of kicks that were at a much more respectable height for yoko geri than i often get to then suddenly felt a tweak in my hip and was in quite a bit of pain for the next 20min with massively restricted kicking etc. Thankfully it seemed to sort itself and felt ok again by the end of the session and this morning. Will take that warning on board though and be very very conservative with my kick height at least until after grading. Was an interesting feeling though, almost like scar tissue breaking up, so i wonder if i have managed to regain some of my prior motion range without realising it!

Grading sat and passed :) Now need to work on the shodan grading. They are only held every 3mths (unless special events are on) and the locations vary so current target is the end of March one in Scotland as it is the easiest one for me to get to. That gives me 3mths more than the 6mths requirement.

The way our grading syllabus works the gradings for all the brown belt grades have pretty much the same requirements. Only differences for the shodan one will be (other than the required standard being higher) that i have one new combination to learn (which we have been drilling in class anyway already) and it is proper jiyu kumite which i do most weeks too!

Got a really useful bit of feedback from a 6th dan who was at the grading watching too (our examiner is an 8th dan) on my hikite hand that i couldn't pick up even from a mirror. He noticed that i could have that hand slightly further back but it is consistent on every technique from both sides and exactly the same spot. Worked out that when i look in the mirror it looks exactly right but the slight perspective difference due to angled hips on blocks etc makes it look slightly further back than it is. Should be a straightforward fix though :)

Monday 17 June 2024

Lifting session

Bench press

20kg x 5

40kg x 5

52.5kg x 10

52.5kg x 10

52.5kg x 10

52.5kg x 10

52.5kg x 12

Squat

20kg x 5

40kg x 5

60kg x 5

67.5kg x 5

77.5kg x 5

Cable Flyes (weight is per hand)

15kg x 10

15kg x 10

15kg x 10

Cable Face Pulls

20kg x 15

20kg x 15

20kg x 15

Cable biceps curl (superset with triceps pushdowns)

20kg x 20

20kg x 20

20kg x 20

Triceps rope pushdowns

20kg x 20

20kg x 20

20kg x 20

Cable Wood Choppers (reps are total of L + R)

10kg x 20

10kg x 20

10kg x 20

Am enjoying new programme. Have noticed that the number i can 'rep out' at lower weights is lower than the number i should theoretically be able to do due to my max weight. Think this will help by building some volume (and hopefully muscle). Curious to see outcome at end :)_

• 2 weeks later...

Tuesday 25th June

Lifting Session

Seated overhead press

20kg x 5

30kg x 5

35kg x 5

35kg x 5

40kg x 10

40kg x 10

40kg x 14

Trap bar deadlift

70kg x 5

80kg x 5

96kg x 3

110kg x 3

122.5kg x 3

Triceps rope pushdown (superset with biceps curls)

45kg x 8

45kg x 8

45kg x 8

Biceps cable curls

45kg x 8

45kg x 8

45kg x 8

Dki erg

1.02km in 2min 25sec

Woodchopper (reps = total of l + r)

10kg x 22

10kg x 22

10kg x 22

Wednesday 26th June

Karate Session

Warms ups as per usual

Then we spent a lot of time working drills using shuto uke as a block and then countering. Working footwork and the contact

Then ran through all katas and did some kumite