• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

DarthPenguins Training log of an unfit person!

Saturday 4 May

Lifting Session

Bench Press

20kg x 5

40kg x 5

55kg x 5

62.5kg x 5

72.5kg x 9

Fat Bar bent over row

20kg x 5

30kg x 5

40kg x 5

40kg x 5

40kg x 5

Got myself a new axle style oly barbell with the entire bar as thick as the ends as thought it will be good for grip. Was pleased with it. Took it easy as will build up grip and tendon strength gradually

Face Pulls

20kg x 15

20kg x 15

20kg x 15

Triveps rope pushdowns

20kg x 20

20kg x 20

20kg x 20

20kg x 20

20kg x 20

decided to go light but get 100 reps in

Anderson squat - about half squat depth

20kg x 5

60kg x 10

70kg x 10

80kg x 10

90kg x 10

Thought this might be worth working on going forwards to work on Judo leg strength. Squat from pins to remove stretch shortening cycle and from rounghly a half squat to get closer to the starting position i will be in when attempting a throw. Will do these as well as normal squats

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tuesday 7 May

Lifting Session

Seated overhead press

20kg x 5

25kg x 5

30kg x 3

37.5kg x 5

42.5kg x 5

50kg x 11

60kg x 2

Decided i was feeling quite strong so i would try 60kg as it has always been a sticking point for me. Was amazed that not only did i manage it but i managed a double!

Chest fly

20kg x 12

20kg x 12

20kg x 12

Triceps pushdown straight bar (superset with biceps rope hammer curls)

25kg x 20

25kg x 20

25kg x 20

25kg x 20

25kg x 20

Biceps rope hammer curl

20kg x 20

20kg x 20

20kg x 20

20kg x 20

20kg x 20

• 2 weeks later...

Thought this might be worth working on going forwards to work on Judo leg strength. Squat from pins to remove stretch shortening cycle and from rounghly a half squat to get closer to the starting position i will be in when attempting a throw. Will do these as well as normal squats

Honestly, I think the effectiveness of this kind of training with weights is overstated and not really useful. It's easy to fall into, though, because you are lead to believe that you're doing a movement pattern that is specific to your sport/activity. What you really end up doing is shortening the movement pattern from the full range of motion, and you can cause more stress on the knee by doing so.

Something to keep in mind when strength training is to remember that strength is a general physical adaptation. You strength train, and you get stronger. You get better at doing your activity by practicing your activity. I honestly think you'll see better results in your MA activities if you just continue to do squats through the full range of motion, making yourself stronger overall, than you will by trying to make lifting weights look like your MA activity.

My two cents, but I thought I'd offer.

Honestly, I think the effectiveness of this kind of training with weights is overstated and not really useful. It's easy to fall into, though, because you are lead to believe that you're doing a movement pattern that is specific to your sport/activity. What you really end up doing is shortening the movement pattern from the full range of motion, and you can cause more stress on the knee by doing so.

Something to keep in mind when strength training is to remember that strength is a general physical adaptation. You strength train, and you get stronger. You get better at doing your activity by practicing your activity. I honestly think you'll see better results in your MA activities if you just continue to do squats through the full range of motion, making yourself stronger overall, than you will by trying to make lifting weights look like your MA activity.

My two cents, but I thought I'd offer.

Valid points and thanks for chiming in :)

Totally makes sense. I'm also looking at it like an overload type of thing. Still doing (and won't stop doing) normal full range squats as they are essential i think, but have seen plenty of stuff about the benefits of using partials to get used to having more weight etc on shoulders. Might play about with them still from that perspective but you do make some very good points :)

If you want more weight on your shoulders, doing heavy walkouts can accomplish what you want there. After you finish your heavy work set, add another 10-20%, walk it out, and see how it feels.

If you want more weight on your shoulders, doing heavy walkouts can accomplish what you want there. After you finish your heavy work set, add another 10-20%, walk it out, and see how it feels.

Thats a good idea and possibly a better one than mine!

Monday 13 May

Lifting Session

Squat

20kg x 5

40kg x 5

65kg x 5

75kg x 3

85kg x 10

Decline bench press

40kg x 10

40kg x 10

40kg x 10

Cable pull through

40kg x 10

40kg x 10

40kg x 10

Triceps overhead extension (superset with biceps cable curls)

20kg x 20

20kg x 20

20kg x 20

Biceps cable curls

20kg x 20

20kg x 20

20kg x 20

ski erg

500m 2.22

Monday 20 May

Lifting session

Trap Bar deadlift

70kg x 5

80kg x 5

90kg x 3

100kg x 3

115kg x 3

127.5kg x 7

Incline bench press (superset with straight arm rope pulldown)

45kg x 10

45kg x 10

45kg x 10

45kg x 10

Straight arm rope pulldown

45kg x 10

45kg x 10

45kg x 10

45kg x 10

Reverse cable curl (superset with triceps pushdowns)

15kg x 20

15kg x 20

15kg x 20

Triceps rope pushdowns

20kg x 20

20kg x 20

20kg x 20