• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

DarthPenguins Training log of an unfit person!

Tuesday 24th January

Lifting Session

Seated Overhead Press

20kg x 5

25kg x 5

32.5kg x 5

35kg x 5

40kg x 5

32.5kg x 5

32.5kg x 5

32.5kg x 5

32.5kg x 5

32.5kg x 5

KB Swings

20kg x 10

20kg x 10

20kg x 10

20kg x 10

20kg x 10

KB Gorilla Rows

24kg x 14

24kg x 14

24kg x 14

24kg x 14

24kg x 14

Cable Biceps ciurls

20kg x 13

20kg x 13

20kg x 13

KB Side Bends

20kg x 22

20kg x 22

20kg x 22

Time : 33min

Total poundage : 5085kg

Density ; 154.1 kg/min

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wednesday 25th January

Karate Session

Warm ups

Performed usual warm ups then a little more which was good and interesting. We did some light kick only sparring drills to warm up more and then did some mawashi geri drills - holding wall, lifting leg into correct position then performing multiple kicks.

I've done the drill before but not at this angle and it (while sore) seemed to loosen my hips up a little just from doing it. Will keep practicing it at home i think.

We then moved onto some pad drills, kicking target with mawashi geri with lots of emphasis on form over power etc

Kihon

We did this a bit differently too. Plenty of mawashi geri up and down the hall, really focusing on technique. Firstly just standard rear leg; then front leg followed by rear leg, then rear leg followed by some hand techniques

Kata

Ran through grading kata several times as well as Heian Nidan - Yondan and Kihon Kata.

We then came out in pairs and performed our grading kata which allowed the instructor to scrutinise it more closely. Got a couple of good rhythm tips to implement.

Some more kicking pad drills to finish the class

Saturday 28th January

Lifting Session

Squat

20kg x 5

40kg x 5

67.5kg x 5

77.5kg x 5

87.5kg x 5

67.5kg x 5

67.5kg x 5

67.5kg x 5

67.5kg x 5

67.5kg x 5

These went well. Beforehand the back of both of my knees were feeling really tight (due to mawashi geri drills i think a couple of days prior). Was unsure how these would go but knees actually felt better afterwards!

Single arm KB overhead press

16kg x 12

16kg x 12

16kg x 12

16kg x 12

16kg x 12

Standing KB Hold for time

48kg x 65sec

Time : 36min

Total Poundage: 5072kg

Density : 140.8 kg/min

Monday 30th January

BJJ Session

Did some slight warmups at the beginning (which is unusual for our class!)

Did a few repetitions of starting in 90/90 position and then moving leg behind, raising up hips, back down then 90/90 other side then a couple of rolls as they tied into the planned techniques.

We were working wrestling up into a single leg today. Starting in reverse de la riva, push off opponent slightly and then sit up into them with de la riva hook dropping to floor curling around their foot in a rough 90/90 position with fother foot behind me, pushing forward a little. then reach outside hand round hip and under leg taking grip on bottom of lapel or belt, then stand up and take other leg for a single.

Was a good drill as i am a terrible wrestler! lot of emphasis placed on proper head position when coming up. drilling partner was instructed to guillotine you or push your head (gently!!) down into the mat if you didn't!.

Then worked some drills of keeping the leg while opponent tried to free it.

Worked next drill of shooting grip hand straight into an underhook if opponent gets foot to the floor. Worked on some pummelling drills and then some fighting for double underhooks from over/under position standing.

Worked another drill where you get the underhook, overhook it tightly and turn opponent with it towards floor which led nicely into a throw when practising it.

Finished with a few round of rolling. Went ok though my grappling conditioning is still poor!

Positives :

- my guard passing is still doing ok from knees. Managed to pass guard of some less out of practice blue belts when sparring which is always good!

- doing well at breaking balance for sweeps

- recovering back to guard well once passed. managed this several times which i was pleased with

Things to work on :

- really need to work on finishing sweeps better though i think it is partially conditioning related

- need to work on holding top side better (which always used to be a strength). Was struggling to hold it when i passed which was leading to me having to repass again several times. Got an interesting comment from one of the guys i rolled with that made me realise what i was doing wrong - he pointed out that i have a wide base and with the length of my legs could do some good pressure in tripod position. Realised i used to post feet further out in side a lot more and a lot less on knees. will try next time

- need to work on my submissions! though i think the side control point is more important for now!

Overall though really good session and was pleased

Wednesday 1st February

Karate Session

Warm ups

Worked typical warm ups as per usual

Kihon

We worked usual grade kihon with a few extras. A lot of work on proper execution of uraken and did some partner drills for this too. Was good practice as i worked out that i need to aim my jodan one slightly higher - had subconsciously adjusted it when i was told to lower my jodan punch from nose to chin level

Kata

Multiple run throughs of Heian Godan. Feel like it is quite smooth (relatively speaking) now and most comments are rhythm/presentation based which is good. Working on implementing them.

Ran through all the other Heian katas once also

wasn't really any time for kumite left at end of class but was a good session and several good technical pointers to work on :)

Saturday 4th February

Lifting Session

Wasn't able to get my Tuesday session in earlier in the week due to illness in the house so i decided to combine the two main lifts tonight so that they didn't get missed.

Trap Bar Deadlift

70kg x 5

75kg x 5

82.5kg x 5

85kg x 5

107.5kg x 5

82.5kg x 5

82.5kg x 5

82.5kg x 5

82.5kg x 5

82.5kg x 5

Bench Press

20kg x 5

30kg x 5

45kg x 5

52.5kg x 5

57.5kg x 5

45kg x 5

45kg x 5

45kg x 5

45kg x 5

45kg x 5

These felt light (which they were) but letting me gradually build up the volume, Focused a lot on technique and can really feel my use of leg drive beginning to improve with every session

Standing single arm KB press (reps = L+R)

20kg x 10

20kg x 10

20kg x 10

20kg x 10

These went smoothly, no grinders at all. Should be able to keep progressing these smoothly

Total poundage : 7162.5kg

time : 38min

density : 188.5kg/min

• 2 weeks later...

Mon day 13th February

Bjj Session

Working on open guard passing.

Started with a 'skywalker' pass to someone in seated guard which involved a step through with right leg to beside their right side, foot close to hip and then down to knee on belly. Had to start from a really low 'wrestling shot' style position. Seemed ok but not a technique i think i will ever use.

Then worked on torrendo pass. Got a couple of different details that made it work much better.. Turning hands a little to turn opponents hips away from passing direction. Worked a lot better. Have never liked this pass but this made it a lot better.

Then several rounds of rolling. Was really pleased as i had looked up a baseball bat choke set up on youtube the day before and i managed to pull it off in rolling with another blue belt :)

Overall a really good session. Was especially pleased as had been ill all last week

Tuesday 14th February

Lifting Session

Seated overhead press

20kg x 5

25kg x 5

30kg x 5

32.5kg x 5

37.5kg x 5

30kg x 5

30kg x 5

30kg x 5

30kg x 5

30kg x 5

KB Swing

20kg x 10

20kg x 10

20kg x 10

20kg x 10

20kg x 10

20kg x 10

20kg x 10

20kg x 10

20kg x 10

20kg x 10

E-Z Bar curl

30kg x 5

30kg x 5

30kg x 5

KB side bends

24kg x 10

24kg x 10

24kg x 10

Total poundage : 4645kg

Time : 28min

density : 165.9 kg/min

Wednesday 15th February

Karate Session

Warm ups

Usual warm ups performed at beginning of class though slightly different order for the stretching

Kihon

Performed usual grade kihon. There was a slight variation to the sequences to check everyone was actually doing them as asked and not just on autopilot (which i liked)

Kata

Several run through's of heian godan. Good feedback and just working on improving things further

Kumite

Decent amount of kumite tonight. Lots of rounds. Doing a mix of leg only sparring, hands only and free sparring. Really enjoyed it!

Thursday 16th February

BJJ session

Really enjoyed this class! The usual instructor was here (it has regularly been taken by the main club instructor who is a black belt but this class is meant to be under a brown belt). Reason i like it is the brown belt teaches this one as 'heavyweight jiu jitsu' so not full of 'whippity fast stuff' which suits me so so much better!

We were still working on passing open guard, this class being dedicated to butterfly.

First pass was hug opponents legs together tight, reaching round them at the knees. to be used against an opponent with their elbows and knees tightly together in butterfly. then reach for an underhook with outside arm and 'spin them' until you fall into side control putting a lot of weight on them. Liked this one a lot

Next one was if opponent straightened their legs out to push you away. Post head onto mat on one side, driving shoulder into belly and then walk round the pass as before (not explaining this one too well!)

Third was to a more open butterfly. Taka body lock and on the side of the deeper hand post your head on that side into hip and use head to complete bodylock. make sure my knees are in tight folding opponents legs as much as possible. then with free arm reach under and pull over the far foot, passing it past one leg and trapping it. then drive weight down and finish pass as before.

Multiple rounds of rolling. Managed to hit a bow and arrow choke on an experienced guy so i was pleased (also got caught a few times but that always happens). Managed to pass guard several times in most rounds and also felt like i was 'floating in side control' much more smoothly.