• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thoughts on Machida karate

smuraix1

It follows the same path as all major Karate styles that were born from combining other styles. Machida Karate combines elements of Shotokan, MT, BJJ if Im not mistaken. The founders of the major Karate styles did not even compete, but their styles grew in popularity in to what they are today.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Machida Karate is tailor-made for modern mixed martial arts competition, although it's still largely kickboxing in a keikogi, in my opinion. That isn't necessarily bad, but it's not my kind of karate. You're certainly right that they have blended their karate with other things (you forgot Sumo, btw), which is in-line with the original development of karate, so I'm not hating on it. I just prefer a different approach :)

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I know someone that trains at their academy, he taught me a kata the Machidas created, and that they teach their students...

The kata is basically Taikyoku Shodan, but with a mae geri to gyakutsuki instead of just oi-zukis. The punch is executed while keeping your opposite hand up to your Chin.

Not gonna lie; I'd feel like a total goofball wearing a gi that had shorts instead of trousers.

History:

Kobayashi Shorin-ryu, 2019 - 2023: Rokkyu

Shotokan, 2023 - Present: Yonkyu

Judo, 2023: Novice

Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, 2023 - Present: White Belt

Machida Karate is tailor-made for modern mixed martial arts competition, although it's still largely kickboxing in a keikogi, in my opinion. That isn't necessarily bad, but it's not my kind of karate. You're certainly right that they have blended their karate with other things (you forgot Sumo, btw), which is in-line with the original development of karate, so I'm not hating on it. I just prefer a different approach

It's not my style of Karate, though, because there are several key characteristics in their style that aren't as prominent as in conventional Shotokan.

They have a YouTube channel, for example, where one of their videos shows them teaching their version of Oi tzuki.

Chinzo's backfoot is entirely lifted during the performance, which was a big no-no for me when I was training all the time.

Keep the back foot firmly and sink your weight into the punch, we were taught.

A YouTube viewer inquired about it, and their channel responded "Attacking stance is poor; back heel is up"

the Machida channel says, "heel down and plant to the ground does not applicable in real life.""

Not gonna lie; I'd feel like a total goofball wearing a gi that had shorts instead of trousers.

:lol: :lol: yep, Ill stick to traditional Shotokan etiqutte

I have tremendous respect for Lyoto. By the way, he was my favorite UFC fighter for a long, long time. I basically see him as the real life Ryu (Street Fighter 2).

I think the whole "machida karate" thing is a savvy marketing idea that happened accidentally.

Lyoto was a shotokan karate guy. He has had training in many other styles, even sumo, but his striking base had always been shotokan. Of course, you can't compete in MMA by sticking to your style. No one uses pure boxing in MMA, or pure Muay thai, not even pure BJJ. Everybody adapts their boxing/muay thai/BJJ /wrestling to compete in MMA, and karate is no exception - lyoto adapted his shotokan to compete in MMA.

When he won the championship he was super excited and told to the mic "karate is back!! Machida karate!!", meaning, his family's karate, I don't think he meant it was a separate style or anything like that.

The term stuck and now people thinks there's a Machida karate, sort of like there is a kyokushin, a goju ryu, etc. If that were the case we'd have a Shogun Rua Muay Thai, a Randy Couture Wrestling, a Brock Lesnar wrestling, an Anderson Silva BJJ, etc, we'd have more styles than letters in the alphaber for each art.

Just my 2 cents :P

Machida Karate is tailor-made for modern mixed martial arts competition, although it's still largely kickboxing in a keikogi, in my opinion. That isn't necessarily bad, but it's not my kind of karate. You're certainly right that they have blended their karate with other things (you forgot Sumo, btw), which is in-line with the original development of karate, so I'm not hating on it. I just prefer a different approach

It's not my style of Karate, though, because there are several key characteristics in their style that aren't as prominent as in conventional Shotokan.

They have a YouTube channel, for example, where one of their videos shows them teaching their version of Oi tzuki.

Chinzo's backfoot is entirely lifted during the performance, which was a big no-no for me when I was training all the time.

A YouTube viewer inquired about it, and their channel responded "Attacking stance is poor; back heel is up"

the Machida channel says, "heel down and plant to the ground does not applicable in real life.""

I think most "traditional" Karate stylists would have an issue with doing it that way because of the aesthetics of it. It's been drilled and drilled into us over the years that in a front stance, the back heels stays down on the ground. In actuality, I believe the heel off the ground allows you to drive more power forward into the target. Yet we all know from forms competitions that if the back heel pops up, you're gonna get dinged on your points for it, regardless of how practical an application it may be.

I think most "traditional" Karate stylists would have an issue with doing it that way because of the aesthetics of it. It's been drilled and drilled into us over the years that in a front stance, the back heels stays down on the ground. In actuality, I believe the heel off the ground allows you to drive more power forward into the target. Yet we all know from forms competitions that if the back heel pops up, you're gonna get dinged on your points for it, regardless of how practical an application it may be.

I think applicability should be the focus of karate personally, and should be part of the evolution of karate going forward imho.