• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Injuries

I'm interested in hearing what Martial Arts-related injuries everyone has received over the course of their careers.

So, pretty much what I'm asking is this:

1. What style(s) have you trained in?

2. How long have you trained in each style?

3. How many and what injuries did you receive in each style?

If you have been free of injuries, please post anyway.

Basically I'm trying to compare styles and how "damaging" they are.

I'll start us off.

1. I train in Tae Kwon Do

2. I have trained in this for three years

3. Injuries: 1 year into training, I discovered that I have extreme joint laxity and experience subluxing of the hips. (Note: this wasn't caused by training, it simply brough it to my attention.

2 years into my training, the full force of a sidekick landed directly in my right eye, causing double-vision and some other problems that continue today, to small degrees.

Finally, just a few days ago (3 years into training), ::Edit - I sprained my left big toe - Edit::

The eye thing was the only really serious one that was caused by MA, but it's pretty much better now. The hips are sort of like a lifelong condition that is treated through building muscle. And the toe, well...I broke my other big toe BEFORE MA, so I'm not really surprised :dead:

Alrighty, let's hear what's happened to you! Please leave other sports out of this, martial arts only ;)

Edited by monkeygirl

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

... actually I started a thread in the Health & Fitness Forum (back when I was moderator of that forum) http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1273

and also here

http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=2197

Tae Kwon Do

11 years

1 hamstring pull

minor cuts & bruises (from board breaking and sparring)

Edited by KickChick

In Karate,

Riped my toe nail off when I was putting the mats away!

Really nasty, blood went all over my dogi, so I just told my friends that it was in an amazing battle me verus 5000 others and I won and that was their blood.

They did not believe me. :(

Nothing in Aikido yet, sometimes me knee's, sometimes wrists and shoulders. But they only ache for a little while. Smashed into the floor a few times and been very close to breaking my nose.

All in all I am still in one piece. ;)

1) I've studied Shotokan Karate, ITF Taekwon Do and Aki Jujitsu, and taken classes in Wing Chun and Ketto Ryu Jujutsu

2) 3 1/2 years, 2 1/2 years, 1 year "training" and several learning, a few months

3) I damaged my knees doing some of the kicks and stances in Shotokan and they are still weak today. During a TKD tournament I got kicked in the ribs hard enough to bruise them. Other than that nothing but minor bruises and cuts that come with the training.

I did TSD for a year and three months. Broke a finger blocking a kick, pulled left hammy twice (I wasn't flexible at all, but I tried really hard), besides the ever so present bruises LOL.

TKD for one year. Pulled right hammy doing jumping axe kick last spring (I was dared by a black belt, so I did it :D ). Hurt my knee a few months ago doing a flying side kick into a heavy bag, and my knee went the wrong way (it didn't take long to heal ..... about two weeks, roughly). Then I just hurt my left leg again. It still bothers me. I think I hurt it visiting my old dojang when we were sparring, but I don't remember.

Laurie F

Injuries... :o :o :o

Dont say that word. Ive had the worst stretch of luck lately. I twisted my knee, and dislocated my shoulder all within the same month. The knee happened when my toes got caught in the mat and I fell over myself :-?

(so much for catlike agility) and the shoulder when I fell on the ice while shovelling. Ive also broken a couple of fingers and toes my first year due to poor blocking technique.

Most of my injuries are self inflicted :wink:

If I could do this to myself I cant imagine what wrath I can unleash on the enemy :D :D :D

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.