• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial arts magazines

Kyodai

Hey everyone I'm new 2 this and I'm not 2 sure how everything goes on yet but I'm gonna give it a go.....does any1 know of any martial arts magazines (preferebly karate/even better if it's kyokushin) that I can buy in the UK cuz I just cant find 1....thanx!

"The martial way begins with one thousand days and is mastered after ten thousand days of training" Sosai Masutatsu Oyama

• 4 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi,

I read two magazines:

Shotokan Karate Magazine (http://www.zee.com/skm/index.shtml)

Traditional Karate Magazine (http://www.martialartsinprint.com)

The traditional one covers the main styles of karate (obviously the traditional ones!) and is worth a read as it opens your eyes to the seniors of Shotokan, Wado Ryu, Goju Ryu, Shukokai and I think Kyushinkai/shito ryu). You should be able to get 'Trad' at most big newsagents.

Andy.

Andy Wilkinson (Sandan)

Renketsu Karate Club Senior Instructor

(http://www.renketsu.org.uk)

Black Belt Magazine is a good, professional publication. It covers a wide variety of martial arts styles and practitioners, and features articles from people like Bill "Superfoot" Wallace, and Kathy Long. They also have some pretty neat training techniques every month. A good read, if I could just find the time to sit down and read the whole thing! :nod:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Black Belt Magazine is a good, professional publication. It covers a wide variety of martial arts styles and practitioners, and features articles from people like Bill "Superfoot" Wallace, and Kathy Long. They also have some pretty neat training techniques every month. A good read, if I could just find the time to sit down and read the whole thing! :nod:

I hate to disagree, but...

Balck Belt is perhaps one of the WORST publications. It is driven by fads. IT offers most of its space to the latest "reality-tough guy-no holds barred-swat/ninja/special ops/woof hoorah" dreck, and little to traditoinal and classical martial arts. The only thing worth reading in the magazine is Dave Lowry's column, adn those are beginning to be reprints.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

I have to agree with HobbitBob about BB Mag.

I do recomment Traditional Karate - there is a top column called "Tools of the Trade" written by Albie O'Connor (hee hee.....my instructor.....:D). Tis a very good column. Covers everything, not just kobudo. Read, read, then read some more. If you have any time left, then read again.

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

I like some things in Black Belt. Not all though. I liked Karate Magazine. I dont even know if you can get it now. I think the company that had it only has Kung Fu magazine now.

Type in Martial arts , Karate, and Uk. in a search engine and you might find one.

Hmm I will have to check out this tradition karate mag, sounds great :)

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

I really Dragon Times, as it is marketed mainly towards those who have an interest in Japanese/Okinawan Karate. I would post their website, but they have a discussion forum also (though it does not seem to be very active) and I do not think it would be appropriate to advertise it here.

I'm not a Black Belt Magazine fan. I have only read a few issues and don't care for it. I tend to agree with Hobbitbob and Tobias on this one.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.