• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

40 yrs young and will begin to train BJJ extensively

Take it as easy as possible and hang in there, Shojiko.

:bowofrespect:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Patrick! Unfortunately, our human bodies age like clockwork; we simply need to train smarter, add strength training to off days to continue practicing with less risk of injuries.

Plus remember you aren't in a race against anyone.

People are also more understanding than you realise - i was talking to my judo coach the other day (a relatively recently retired international competitor) and said to him that i need to get a lot stronger and bulk up more for Judo for gradings etc. and he said to me directly that, i'm mid 40s and it's totally fine to do the technical grading path and lots of randori in class. No-one frowns upon it as you are older and have kids / a life etc. If i was 30 then he would expect competitions for grading but not needed when older. Be realistic and don't kill yourself, who am i competing against - surely i am training for me?

Surprised me a little but was reassuring to hear tbh. Still would like to try some of the comps etc (in the appropriate age groups) when i am ready but nice to know it won't be mandated!

Mandating competitions like that would for sure seem to bring in a younger crowd. It's great that it's not mandated.

Yeah totally though it is definitely mandated for the younger ones!