• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

40 yrs young and will begin to train BJJ extensively

I'm still in my 30s, but after having started BJJ, my body feels like I'm in my 50's lol

You will be amazed at your progress if you keep putting time on the mat.. So don't give up!!

The saying goes "if your planning to train Jiu jitsu forever, then whats the rush?"

Very true. There is no substitute for time on the mat. Consistent training works wonders (the same in any martial art tbh)

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

update: I wanted to provide a little update on my training, which I had been doing consistently until lately when I was forced to halt training due to a series of ailments. I suffered some significant injuries and recovered from them in the previous year or so. It's a great activity, incredibly addictive, but it comes with risks, particularly for anyone over the age of 40. I'm going to start Gracie University and practice with friends in the future because I can't risk any more injuries while having my career and family. The injuries occurred through no direct fault of my partners; there are so many variables and moving parts in bjj that make accidents happen..

update: I wanted to provide a little update on my training, which I had been doing consistently until lately when I was forced to halt training due to a series of ailments. I suffered some significant injuries and recovered from them in the previous year or so. It's a great activity, incredibly addictive, but it comes with risks, particularly for anyone over the age of 40. I'm going to start Gracie University and practice with friends in the future because I can't risk any more injuries while having my career and family. The injuries occurred through no direct fault of my partners; there are so many variables and moving parts in bjj that make accidents happen..

Sorry to hear that. Another thing to consider that might help may be a change in academy. I had trained in one school for years and got a very bad injury, then moved away, had kids etc.. Trained a little where i moved to but when i moved back to where i started i rejoined my old academy and kept getting injuries that put me out for months at a time. I gave it a lot of thought and changed academies to one run by a friend who had gotten his black belt in the intervening years and had left to start his own school. Been there a few years now (just realised that!) and (knock on wood) not picked up anywhere near the amount of injuries i did at my old school. My new one has an excellent competition team but also plenty of hobbyists and older guys (40+ too) so most people are sensible. If you want to go porrade people will but if you want to be sensible then people will do that too

Thanks Darth, JJ is a great supplement to my karate, it makes me nervous me nervous jist thinking that I would have to hold off karate training due to injuries sustained from jj. Ill give your recommendation a thought for sure, I was attending a sport jj school and found sport schools lack emphasizing the fundamentals. Whole year was focused on the stuff like deep half guard sweeps Berimbolos, dela riva etc.. just lacked the fundamentals.. thats why I got interested in the Gracie university curriculum as its more structured.

I was in very good shape aside from my injuries, which really puts me at a cross roads because I loved the work out from it.

Thanks Darth, JJ is a great supplement to my karate, it makes me nervous me nervous jist thinking that I would have to hold off karate training due to injuries sustained from jj. Ill give your recommendation a thought for sure, I was attending a sport jj school and found sport schools lack emphasizing the fundamentals. Whole year was focused on the stuff like deep half guard sweeps Berimbolos, dela riva etc.. just lacked the fundamentals.. thats why I got interested in the Gracie university curriculum as its more structured.

I was in very good shape aside from my injuries, which really puts me at a cross roads because I loved the work out from it.

Every school is different tbh so doesn't hurt to see how some more do things. Personally though, while i agree with you about the berimbolo's bit, i would class de la riva as a fundamental myself (though this does vary for everyone!). My club has recently started on a lot more of the ecological drilling type stuff which has been interesting. It emphasises the fact that you can adapt techniques for yourself and lets you find solutions though i do think the downside is you have to have some knowledge to start!

Nothing stopping you from working on your fundamentals etc. when rolling / drilling even if the others aren't though. you can just go for closed guard etc. and see how you do

I'm researching different gyms and want to attend a few classes to gauge the vibe. A nearby gym offers an excellent structured linear program, however the membership fees are far higher than those of the gym I was training at. These days, most gyms in my neighborhood charge more than $200! Since I also train another style at the same time, this is another factor Im considering.

Thanks, Patrick! Unfortunately, our human bodies age like clockwork; we simply need to train smarter, add strength training to off days to continue practicing with less risk of injuries.