• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which technique are you struggling with?

Which technique(s) do people here find difficult of the ones you want to or have to learn?

For some reason, I find it really hard to develop power in my kake geri (hook kick)...

And these days (actually, since I injured my right hip 10 years ago), I have real difficulty keeping the angle of my foot correct on a side thrust kick! My toes always seem to creep upwards!!

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I dred the spinning back kick. It never seems to be technically correct.

It looks and probably is more of a spinning side kick reverse roundhouse

hybrid thing. Its not a spinning back kick Im sure, but boy it really confuses the hell out of people when I use it in sparring. :brow:

I wish I knew what it is so I know what to call it :wink:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

When I first started, I couldn't do a back kick (or anything backwards) to save my life! Sheesh. One of the simplest techniques and I couldn't do it. I felt like an idiot LOL. I learned the 360 (roundhouse) before I perfected the back kick. Then it was jump kicks, but they didn't take long. About two months ago, I learned the hook kick and spinning hook. Yea, it was hard. I had the flexibility, and all. But I just couldn't get it right. Now I can do both, and they are my favs. Now I'm working on the 540 (trick kick) ..... Actually, I've been working on it for a loooooong time ggggrrrrrr.

Laurie F

Well like it or not there are just some things that are hard for some people to do. Now hard work and practice can make you better at them no question but at the same time some pwople physically can't do certin moves. Is that a reason to quit? Na but you must understand your ability. Socrates said, "know thy self." Shakesphere in Hamlet wrote, "To thy own self be true.". So what Im saying is yes things are hard to learn but don't look at your development as you do other class members. There will be soem th ings you learn better and quicker and there are others you won't.

Injury, Age, Weight, Height are all things that can hold one back doing certin moves but they can help you do others. So work hard but realize some people are more athletic, flexable, stronger, faster, and things come to them quicker.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Ok, for me it's called a Layout kick. It's in one of our katas. Essentially it is somewhat of a jumping back hook kick thing-a-ma-jig, and then your suppose to land on the ground(all layed out) like a cat. But in my case, when I do, I land like a ton of bricks :lol: :lol:

When you all hear about a big earthquake that shook the westcoast, don't fret, it's just me working on the Layout kick :D :D

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

I'm having trouble with a certain kagi on the wrist and finding various pressure points quickly.

And I always used to have trouble with a spinning hook kick. I could do it in the air just fine but somehow with my feet on the ground I just couldn't pivot quite right, bend over far enough, get my leg up there, all sorts of problems.

Don't care so much about that one now. It'd be about number 138 on my list of techniques I'd actually use.

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

*looks around nervously*

Well, to be honest, I have trouble with most techniques! Maybe its just because I'm a beginner, or maybe its because I'm too much of a perfectionist and think that the slightest thing wrong with a movement makes it a disaster and an instant failure, but yeah, I suck quite a lot :( :cry: :bawling:

I hate doing soto ude uke and mae geri right now, for some reason. Yeah, apart from that I just spend about 75% of my time looking on blankly as everyone else kicks and punches about. The other 25% of my time is usually spent on my butt after trying (and failing) to imitate what everyone else was doing. Oh well. *shrugs*

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.