• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The bare bones minimum

Assuming one had a couple of students and a place to train. What would be considered the minimum essential training equipment to have? Let’s also assume that the place is rented and nothing can be left there. Everything just be portable or easily removable after each session is done.

What items would you get and why?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Depends on what you plan to do, but for me, it would be sparring gloves, mouthguard, groin protector, and a pair of Thai pads, or some other kind of striking mitts. If you could do mats, that would be ideal, but for bare minimum, this would cover the vast majority of partnered training. You have the safety equipment to spar with, and pads you can use to work your techniques and combinations with full power, to make up for the fact that you won't be going full-force with everything in sparring. Throws and takedowns will have to be done with control, though, or skipped entirely, without mats to fall on.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Depends on what you want to teach but Noah's list covers it. Heck if you only want to teach kata and kihon you wouldn't even need anything, just a clear space.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Realistically, all you need is the space. If you have some money, striking pads, shields, and loaner mitts would be ideal. When I started karate in '02 my teacher was new to teaching and didn't have anything built up for it. He used the dues he got from us to buy pads and mitts. Eventually, he got enough students to rent out a space at an MMA gym that allowed us to use their bags, bobs, and the like.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I agree on the thoughts about some striking pads of some sort. As a TKDer, I always enjoyed kicking on those clapper pads, too. Big, thick kicking shields are great if you can't have a heavy bag.

A Kicking Shield or BOB and some focus mitts, at the barest minimum. For the most, practically any MA training equipment is portable, if one thinks about it.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 3 months later...

if money isn't an issue and it is solely storage then you can also get rollaway mats that could be brought too and from training. That would allow for some ground work/throws/takedowns to be practiced.

Would agree with the other comments on focus pads, gloves etc.

I've also trained in similar places before and we were able to get access to a locked cupboard or add a lock box and leave mats etc in there. Decent padlocks and a sturdy storage box did the trick.

• 1 year later...