• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Korean-Japanese Karate...

Himokiri Karate

I can tell you that WAAAAYYYY back in the day when I did Shotokan, you could get black belt rankings from at least one of the Korean associations equal to your Shotokan rank. Honestly, I forget whether it was TKD or TSD. They are all in a drawer some place. But, my shodan through yondan in Shotokan (Kenneth Funakoshi, Karate Association of Hawaii) got me the equivalent rank from the Koreans (for what it was worth).

I have to admit that I kind of skimmed through some of the responses, so someone else may have mentioned it. Yong Sul Choi that developed Hapkido was a student of Sokaku Takeda in Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu the same as O'Sensei Ueshiba did...

For me bujutsu is not a set of techniques, but a state of the body. Once the principles are integrated, the techniques surge spontaneously because the body is capable of adapting instantaneously.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have to admit that I kind of skimmed through some of the responses, so someone else may have mentioned it. Yong Sul Choi that developed Hapkido was a student of Sokaku Takeda in Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu the same as O'Sensei Ueshiba did...

Yes, good point to bring up. Both Hapkido and Aikido have their roots in Daito-Ryu. I wouldn't have recalled the names, though. More important Korean MA history.

Welcome to KF! :karate: Glad to have you here.

I know precious little of the history of Korean Martial Arts but, having started my Karate journey under a 7th Dan Tang Soo Do, then transitioning to a broader Karate training and now teaching and focusing my curriculum in Shito-Ryu, the basic colored belt kata couldn’t be more similar. Anecdotally, by my experience, the Japanese influence on Tang-Soo-Do couldn’t be more obvious.

“A kata is not fixed or immoveable. Like water, it's ever changing and fits itself to the shape of the vessel containing it. However, kata are not some kind of beautiful competitive dance, but a grand martial art of self-defense - which determines life and death.”

Kenwa Mabuni

I know precious little of the history of Korean Martial Arts but, having started my Karate journey under a 7th Dan Tang Soo Do, then transitioning to a broader Karate training and now teaching and focusing my curriculum in Shito-Ryu, the basic colored belt kata couldn’t be more similar. Anecdotally, by my experience, the Japanese influence on Tang-Soo-Do couldn’t be more obvious.

Welcome to KF, karatepastor, glad that you're here!!

:bowofrespect:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Thank you!

“A kata is not fixed or immoveable. Like water, it's ever changing and fits itself to the shape of the vessel containing it. However, kata are not some kind of beautiful competitive dance, but a grand martial art of self-defense - which determines life and death.”

Kenwa Mabuni

Thank you! I’m glad to be here.

Kenwa Mabuni

TKD is Shotokans first cousin in a sense lol I was amazed on how similar the katas are (although they are at the same time..different)

Yeah, there are sections of the TKD forms that are obvious adaptations of various portions of Shotokan kata.