• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Round Kick Variations

IMO, it depends on the kicks taught.

I don't like styles that do a roundhouse kick with the ball of their foot. While I see the benefits in kicking that way, it doesn't seem able to generate as much power as kicking with your shin or you're foot back.

It could just be me though, 'cause I find it really awkward and I'm used to the latter way.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I know that it's digressing from the subject somewhat, but I can't help myself and put this to Freestyler.

Regardless of style and teaching, surely it's a dangerous thing to restrict yourself in how you execute your roundhouse kick and if you were sparring with me I would greatly appreciate your predictability!!!?

As many of the older members of this forum seem to have acknowledged, as we mature and gather more information, some of our long term memory drops off the end. For me it's confusing enough dealing with 2 karate styles, but I know of a number of teenagers practicing TKD and karate and benefiting from both.

A kiss is worth 2 Karate chops - Snoopy

I don't like styles that do a roundhouse kick with the ball of their foot. While I see the benefits in kicking that way, it doesn't seem able to generate as much power as kicking with your shin or you're foot back.

I don't want to digress from original question either but....

Here's a good article for you freestyler. http://www.raynerslanetkd.com/ARTICLES_RoundhouseVturningkick.html

I mainly use the "ball of foot"

to break wood (see #1 pic in photo album) ... saves you from breaking the gazillions of little bones in top of foot!

I agree with Size7Gi ... (and like the way you think :) )

http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=5261

I also agree with submissionfighter ... it can work both ways for you --- either supplement each of the training & instruction in both disciplines or confuse the heck out of you!

You should to discover your weaknesses and train in whatever art or method that makes you a better martial artist. :up:

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, very nice article, thanks KickChick! :)

I think that was my problem, I've only ever seen the kick done and tried to mimick it, I haven't had an explanation, and I was attempting a roundhouse kick like the second one, only with the ball of my foot, which probably explains why I find it more awkward than I should. However, I'll give it another go! Surprisingly, I think I damaged my left foot when I kicked a pole as hard I could - I could never kick without pain after that.

Originally in sparring I was taught to use the top of the foot so we wouldn't hurt each other as much. So that doesn't give me much confidence in that method :).

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

Are you serious?

I have given some pretty devestating thigh kicks using the top of my foot, and I've taken to using my shins to get more mass into the kick, resulting in a greater force, but spread out over a greater area... I definitely have to master this kick! :)

The target you choose is going to influence which foot surface you use. The Ball of the foot is much better if you are aiming for a kneecap or other hard surface. The top of the foot for softer tissue. If you are well practiced at using the ball of the foot hitting soft tissue with that will have some serious PSI behind it and I suppose could even lead to rupturing of internal organs and the like. Of course it would have to be a flippin good kick to do that :o :bawling: Hurts just thinking about it.

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

Everybody is right.

Top of the foot can be used for softer areas of the body. The thigh is well padded with muscle. Shins are good too, but to use them on harder areas, you better condition them ahead of time. For the harder areas, or to get through the "padding" and break the bones under it, you need to use the ball of you foot.

We sure are digressing a lot, for not trying to digress. I may try my first topic split here. :wink:

Hey, worked pretty good. :D Sorry KickChick. Best I could figure was to insert a link to the other topic you were also agreeing with. However, I figured you input was more needed here.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

I never use the ball of my foot ... too worried about crushing my toes if I get the angle wrong I think.

So, if it's long range I use the top of my foot, medium range shin, short range knee: I practice at all 3 distances on my punchbag.

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.