• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thinking of switching to Shito Ryu from Shotokan

Shojiko

After contemplating very hard on which Style to explore next, I have developed a interest in Shito Ryu. Being a current resident of the OC area of Cali, there are not too many schools that teach Shito other than Fumio demuras dojo (which Im not sure if he is still actively teaching) or another dojo called Japan Karate-do Judo Jujitsu (led by a Sensei Doan). I know Shito has different family styles, so I dont know if these 2 dojos are different in that aspect. I was orginally going to check out Ryobukai Karate (Shindo Jinen of Yamazaki sensej) but it seems all their branches closed shop other than the UCI branch.

Anyone have any thoughts on these dojos or branch of Shito these places are affiliated with?

Which one is more legit or pure in regards to Shito lineage?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I do not, which is expressly not what you wanted a reply to say. However, most times it's not the system that's ineffective, but the teacher (there are some exceptions to that, obviously, but with something like Shito-Ryu I think that's a fair statement). In cases like these, my suggestion is always to just do a trial class or two with both dojos and see which one vibes with you a little better. My guess is that for their differences their similar enough that the choice isn't too dramatic, so go with the dojo that you're more comfortable in.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Thank you Zaine

I ask because, based on my research, Shito has many family styles or some "fake" ones (just as most Karate styles) Im more intetested in a lineage that traces back to Kenwa Mabuni or his decendants/senior students. No doubt, Demura sensei has a big stamp in the Shito world, but thats all I know about his lineage based on what I find online.

Im interested in Shitos blend of Karate as I know the founder was an expert in many Okinawan styles and their bunkai.

It's a cool style for sure. If the Mabuni lineage isn't available to you, I would definitely go with the Demura school as a personal preference unless the other school is just phenomenal.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/