• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Who would you be...without Karate!

Himokiri Karate

I have trained in various forms of martial arts and combat sports. However, I find Karate (including Korean versions) to be the most inclusive and truly fair of all martial arts. To give you an example, I have trained in different styles and you have a culture that is arbitrary like how the top dogs act in a way that is rooted in favoritism.

But with Karate, the moment I and everyone else bows and steps on the mat is the moment that we are all the same type of human being with the same values and we all show the same level of respect and mannerism regardless of our belt color. There is no such as "these are our real members" because every person who bows and steps on the training floor is a real member. Every person works towards the same level of technical standard.

In boxing, sometimes I see members going there, hitting the bag and then leave. To me, I want to make sure every member is receiving instruction and every one is being examined to make sure they know what they are doing in respect to learning proper foundation.

It begins with the knowledge that the severity of a strikes impact is amplified by a smaller surface area.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'd be on a long walk on a very short pier without Karate/MA. It's been my life literally ever since I was 7 years old; without the MA I'm not complete in my totality. It's all I've ever done.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Honestly, I have to say that your experience with karate has been VASTLY different than mine--the ideal, certainly, but not anywhere near the reality that I've experienced.

Still, without karate, I imagine I would probably be a lonely, depressed, (more) out-of-shape gamer boy, still living in Illinois, and who knows what would have happened to my IT career if I had stayed there instead of leaving when I did. I'd like to think I would have still been alive by now without karate, but my quality of life certainly wouldn't be as good. Karate gave me the ability to speak in front of groups of people, which I was incapable of prior to that, thanks to severe social anxiety. It also helped me learn more about teaching people. Without those two skills, I can't imagine I would have gotten anywhere near as far in life as I have. Plus, I have made some great friendships, had great experiences, learned a lot of really cool/fun things, and found something I really enjoy.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Karate was there for me in exactly the way that I needed it at the exact time I needed it. I've been doing this in one way or another since I was 12. Karate, for 19 years, is how I've framed a lot of my experiences and learning. Without Karate, I imagine that I would be a lot angrier. I can see a person didn't bond with his brothers as keenly as he could have. I can see a person who did not have the outlet to frame his understanding of who he was to himself. A big part of Martial Arts for me is introspection. I learned a lot about how to pick apart my feelings and get to the source of them. Without karate I don't think that I would have come to the idea that learning is 70% self-study and that would definitely have made getting a Master's a lot more of a struggle.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I guess I get to plug myself in as the Korean Karate answer for this question. At this point in my life, it's hard to imagine my life without ever having TKD in it. No small matter is the fact that I met my wife in my TKD class, so there's a whole slew of things that sprouted just from that. Had it not been for TKD, I'd probably not done anything active through my teen years. I don't know if I can say that TKD gave me the values that I have today, but I can say that it has enhanced my perception of my values, and how I approach things. I don't know what I'd be without TKD in my life.

The short answer for that is probably dead, seriously ill or in some kind of correctional facility.

Are you talking about Karate giving you a career path and lifestyle or is this in respect to channeling rage and anger to karate?

[quote name="sensei8"]I'd be on a long walk on a very short pier without Karate/MA. It's been my life literally ever since I was 7 years old; without the MA I'm not complete in my totality. It's all I've ever done.

:)

What do you mean?

I have never heard this expression ever in my life and yet it sounds interesting but I wish to know what it means.

It begins with the knowledge that the severity of a strikes impact is amplified by a smaller surface area.

The short answer for that is probably dead, seriously ill or in some kind of correctional facility.

Are you talking about Karate giving you a career path and lifestyle or is this in respect to channeling rage and anger to karate?

[quote name="sensei8"]I'd be on a long walk on a very short pier without Karate/MA. It's been my life literally ever since I was 7 years old; without the MA I'm not complete in my totality. It's all I've ever done.

What do you mean?

I have never heard this expression ever in my life and yet it sounds interesting but I wish to know what it means. :)

My intent is to not imply what this idiomatic expression might imply. What this expression addresses is this...

"Go away and leave me alone. What you are doing or saying is really irritating."

My use of this idiomatic phrase isn't as drastic or the like. What I'm simply saying is that Karate/MA has helped me to become grounded in my life. Without the compass that the MA provides me, I'd have taking a long walk on a short pier which more than likely would've just lead me in circles.

Perhaps I might've meant this more appropriately...

"You know what they call a leader with no followers? Just a guy taking a walk."

Either way, my life would've been far differently; as Robert Frost penned once...

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference."

**Proof is on the floor!!!

karate kept me away from negative and dangerous influences. It also provided an outlet for feelings and impulsive action that would have certainly had terrible consequences sooner or later. It also did and still does give me a place to belong with people who share much of the same reasons to put themselves through the same training.

I really appreciate this thread, and the personal stories that everyone is sharing. It's amazing to read how karate has impacted your lives. Thank you for being open!