• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bo kata

• 3 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't know how I missed this but yes, I'm familiar. It's a Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu Kata. The second half of the video is Matsumura Bo Shodan, first half is Matsumura Bo Nidan. Matsumura Bo Shodan is learned around 6th kyu and Nidan is learned after you become a Shodan. They're very straight forward kata, with Shodan being mostly the same 6 techniques in 4 directions. They're meant to get you comfortable with handling a bo.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I don't know how I missed this but yes, I'm familiar. It's a Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu Kata. The second half of the video is Matsumura Bo Shodan, first half is Matsumura Bo Nidan. Matsumura Bo Shodan is learned around 6th kyu and Nidan is learned after you become a Shodan. They're very straight forward kata, with Shodan being mostly the same 6 techniques in 4 directions. They're meant to get you comfortable with handling a bo.

Ah ... thanks . That explains a bit . The first part came from Ted Lange ( a student of t Hohan Soken that bought the art to Australia ) , we used to practice it but where told 'There is more to this kata ." But Ted had passed on and we Didnt know who knew it all .

Then one of the guys found this video on the internet .

We always knew it as ' makabe no bo ' ... for some reason .

We have a 'Matsamura no bo ' kata , but it isnt anything like this one . It is supposed to be a preliminary / intro kata to Chikin / Tsuken ( ? ) no kon .

The bunkai fro those 'twirling ' parts is interesting ... and a little difficult to apply .

I believe Kise split the kata in to two different ones and called them the Matsumura bo series, which would explain why you have a different Matsumura Bo Shodan than us Americans. I find that MSSR in the Kise line (which turned in to Kenshin Kan) is a little different sometimes. Similar, to be sure, but it's clear that Kise made some changes overall to MSSR and felt that it was enough to base a new system off of.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Further on the other name I am familiar with for this kata ; ' Makabe no bo ' :

" MASTER HANSHI – SEI FUSEI KISE was born on May 4, 1935. He began his study of Karate in 1947 from his Uncle Master Makabe. ....

On January 3, 1972 Master Kise qualified for the Hanshi title by passing the 8th Dan examination held by Grand Master Hohan Soken and Master Makabe... "

http://www.ballaratkarateclub.com.au/grand-master-fusei-kise/