• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which style to start for kids (or kids and parents)?

Hey everyone, so I remember taking martial arts back in middle school and while it's been almost 20 years since I did study I still remember the discipline and focus it helped me develop.

I've now got kids of my own, and my 7 year old son could really use an outlet for physical energy and working on his ability to focus. My wife and I have been chatting about getting him into some kids classes, and I've batted the idea around of getting back into it myself. There is this school: https://kickconnection.com close to our house that I saw, but I figured if we're going to do this, I might as well actually really think about what's the right options for both my son and I.

Thoughts?

All that said too... 20 YEARS! Congratulations to everyone who has made this forum what it is over the last two decades, what an incredible accomplishment.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wow, cool to see a member from the beginning!

As far as choosing a style for your kids goes, I'm biased, but find TKD to be a great style for kids to practice. However, I wouldn't rule out any other styles. Also, it's easy to find an MA kids program; most schools run them. But check around at other schools, even if they don't offer a "kids program." You might find an instructor that doesn't focus on kids, but has a great approach to teaching them and making classes fun for them. It might also be a great instructor for you to learn from.

If you are interested in other options in which you yourself might not be able to train, there are some great local Kid's Wrestling programs out there, and Wrestling is a fantastic sport for kids to get into. It's great for teaching them accountability, and for encouraging them to put the most into their training.

Judo!!

Many fights end up on the ground, and if the ground is alien, then stay on your feet as long as you can. What do you mean to stay on my feet? Fight someone who lives on the ground, then, leave quietly because the grounds man/woman will get you on the ground!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

To be honest I think it'll be less about the style and more about the instructor and school atmosphere. Your son is relatively young and any training is going to build gross motor skills above all.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

To be honest I think it'll be less about the style and more about the instructor and school atmosphere. Your son is relatively young and any training is going to build gross motor skills above all.

Solid post!!

I would suggest checking what schools are available at reasonable distance from your home. And if they offer free classes go and see how it goes. You might find some info on specific schools on the net.

A style is just a name.

I would suggest checking what schools are available at reasonable distance from your home. And if they offer free classes go and see how it goes. You might find some info on specific schools on the net.

Agreed. Always, always, always ask to watch a class. If they don't allow you to, I think this sends up a red flag, and makes the decision process easier.

Agreed. Always, always, always ask to watch a class. If they don't allow you to, I think this sends up a red flag, and makes the decision process easier.

And not just one class!! Watch many. Watch kids classes and adult classes for both the Kyu and Dan ranks.

• 3 weeks later...