• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How 2 stay a martial artist/karateka after quitting my dojo?

RW

For those who may remember my story, I practiced karate for several years, and I loved it. I quit when it was time to go to college and never came back.

6 years ago I joined a school that taught a style completely unknown to me: "Kempo karate". Something didn't add up, since I've always been, uh, academically interested in the martial arts, as a kid I'd spend hours and hours reading everything I could about the history and idea behind different styles (the different karate schools, taekwondo, BJJ, judo, different kung fu styles, you name it), yet this kempo stuff never came across my readings.

Anyway, the school was close to my home, I was itching to do martial arts again, so I decided to give it a try.

The style seemed to basically amount to americanized karate. You know, "this is not a tate tsuki, this is a thrust punch ;) " and "this is not a yoko geri, this is a side blade kick ;) ". I knew I would not be getting a traditional, pure lineage experience, but I didn't care: I was getting physical activity, it was a lot like karate (it was basically karate) and they also did sparring, so it's all good.

Sadly, after 4 years, the school took a hard turn into McDojo territory. Some of the students, including myself, tried to resist the blatant mcdojo-ization of the school to no avail. The school fully embraced their mcdojo status and it just feels like we're no longer welcome there ("grown ups doing karate?!" "why are you asking all these questions about applicability?!", "bunkai? for this kata I just made out of thin air?! .. errrr I mean, you're not ready for this bunkai"). The straw that broke the camel's back for me was when they stopped having sparring in their classes, unless you go to a "dedicated sparring class" held on Saturday night.

I've decided to cut my losses and quit this school, which is now horrible (but it wasn't always this bad). I don't see me starting from scratch again either....

How can I keep my connection to karate by myself?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sorry to hear this, RW. That's a really stinky situation.

Solo training is always available to you, and you could also put yourself out there that you are searching for some training partners. You could end up with a small group dedicated to self-improvement.

Also, don't discount the thought of finding a new school to train at. You won't be "starting from scratch;" you'll still have all the knowledge and training you've acquired through your experiences. That has value that will carry over into whatever you decide to do.

I can also recommend thinking about finding a new school. While solo training is definitely something you could do, there is no substitute for training with a good instructor, you'll find you learn so much more and probably much quicker that way too.

Let me echo what bushido_man96 and Questor have said about finding a new school. IMHO it really is your best option. Perhaps there is another, more traditional dojo within driving distance for you?

Japan Karate Association (JKA), 1974-1990, Sandan

This could also be an opportunity to start learning something totally new, as well. BJJ school nearby? Perhaps consider giving it a try. Keep an open mind to completely different styles.

This could also be an opportunity to start learning something totally new, as well. BJJ school nearby? Perhaps consider giving it a try. Keep an open mind to completely different styles.

This school's many deficiencies led me to join Muay Thai too, but I still miss the more "artsy"aspects of a karate-like martial art, with forms and all that.

This school's many deficiencies led me to join Muay Thai too, but I still miss the more "artsy"aspects of a karate-like martial art, with forms and all that.

I understand that. Just keep in mind that no matter what you decide to try, it's not set in stone. You have the flexibility and the experience to evaluate what you are being taught, and move on if you so choose.

You can also try attending some open seminars.

Also open spars and tournaments might be a good idea.

This is a great idea, too.

Once a MAist, always a MAist. Take the dojo away and all it provides, the MAist still remains. Take the training away, the MAist remains; knowledge and experience might get rusty, but the MAist remains. Should all MA is forsaken, the MAist is still somewhere inside.

After all, the MAist label is still just that, a label. I've no desire to live by any label, nor do I desire to be placed into any label by others. I'm complete in my totality as a MAist, and not because others say so.

How can I keep my connection to karate by myself?

By getting on the floor and train your heart out, as though there's no tomorrow by yourself if need be. Train with other MAists that you know and trust in a plethora of topic that keep that effectiveness alive.

If you train seriously, then the needed connection to Karate IS STILL THERE AND ALIVE!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!