• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Its when you sacrafice your advantage to pull of a specific move - for example launching yourself at the enemy without thinking of balance etc.

A example of a sacrafice throw is that 'on your back pushing with your feet move' (can't remember the japanese name). When doing this move, you put yourself in a nasty position (on the ground), and you'd better make sure you pull it off or u are up a certain creek without a certain paddle.

OK?

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

Sometimes it's the best/only option that comes to mind at the time, or is available at all. Ideally you both end up on the ground, but you're still in a better place than they are. Sometimes it's just a throw where you use your own body weight as a tool to take them down.

This would be a pretty bad example, but you see similar moves in pro wrestling all the time.

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

Hrm...I think I've done similar things before...

Sometimes, if I'm up against a big guy (and everybody's a big guy compared to me), the only way I can manage to take them down is to do a takedown with all my strength and leverage; meaning falling down with them and landing on top. I usually do a little "I meant to do that" move by combining it with a falling elbow strike/axe kick, depending.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

The throw someone mentioned before is usually called "Tomoe Nage" (Stomach throw)

To throw someone, you need to get in under their centre of gravity... dropping to the ground is one way of doing this. As I'm quite tall (190cm), when I used to do Judo I found sacrifice throws very useful in competition. The one that worked best for me was a side throw, where you slide up to the opponent with the inside of one leg against the outside of his leg, while pulling him down to the side... (the throw is "Yoko Otoshi" - Side Drop. See http://www.judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/yokootoshi.htm)

Though, while this worked quite often for me in competition, I wouldn't want to go to ground unnecessarily in a real fight!

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

In Judo the throws you do, the purpose is basically to takedown your opponent but you be still at stand up, a sacrifice throw is when you fall with your opponent to the ground.

Valencia - Venezuela.

The sacrifice throw or sutemi as it is called in Japanese is basically done by allowing yourself to fall, thus taking your opponent to the ground. These techniques are fairly common in judo, although they actually come from aikijujitsu. In their non competition form they are very dangerous and can result in serious injury if used at full speed against someone who does not know how to fall properly. Yoseikan Aikido specialized in sacrifice throws and in fact a large number of the sacrifice throws in modern Judo were taught to senior instructors at the Kodokan by Shihan Mochizuki. Hopefully that helps explain things a bit.

Matt Gilliard

Shodan- Yoseikan Aikido

Shodan- Goshin Jujitsu