• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

too old to learn and train Wrestling?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

No, 40 years old isn't too old to get on the mats. Having said that, this answer will depend on your doctor(s). Sure. I can say that being 40 isn't too old, but without knowing what your health is and the like, I'd be overstepping my boundaries.

See what your doctor advices. Please let us know any updates.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Is there a club in your area that you can train at? The main problem I see with this is that most of the clubs are either a kid's club that wrestle at tournaments, or school teams and college teams.

u are right as this type of wrestling is mostly found through high school college programs. There are some gyms that promote “submission wrestling” but its mixed with MMA and not just wrestling itself. Ive heard its just better to get into BJJ and that it is more tailored to my age range. It is exciting seeing the elite wrestling being used in competitions but Im always reminded these guys are young and Im considered more fragile now being 40’s

I'd say if you can find it, do it for sure. Both of my boys wrestle, and I've had some great times working and training things with them. But, being 43 myself at the time of this posting, it's gotten harder and harder for me to work things like takedowns with them.

Two options for your question:

1. Finding a form of MMA wrestling like catch/submission/shoot wrestling or also trying out sambo which is basically wrestling and old school judo.

2. If you want Greco or folk which is your choice, you can go to universities and talk to the coach. Sometimes, some coaches are open minded and they might allow you to join in on the side IF its off-season competition. During season things are intense and its pretty much wild and crazy but off season its more welcoming depending on the coach.

Good luck.

It begins with the knowledge that the severity of a strikes impact is amplified by a smaller surface area.

• 1 year later...
No, 40 years old isn't too old to get on the mats. Having said that, this answer will depend on your doctor(s). Sure. I can say that being 40 isn't too old, but without knowing what your health is and the like, I'd be overstepping my boundaries.

See what your doctor advices. Please let us know any updates.

:)

good