• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Making mats just a little softer...

Radagast

My area is back in lockdown. I have a training room set up in my garage, with puzzle mats on top of the concrete. The mats are 20mm.

I find them extremely unforgiving for jumping, my knees and ankles are quite sore after training tonight - burpees and tuck jumps but not too many and nothing that would normally bother me.

I had a few ideas for softening up the impacts... obviously putting down dry-core or something similar would work well but would cost hundreds of dollars and I may as well go buy 40mm mats at that point. But would putting down any kind of foam - I'm thinking mattress topper, or even yoga mats - work without drawbacks?

Thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've never found puzzle mats to be great for comfort in falling or anything. Something more like a wrestling mat would probably be a lot better for jumping on. However, since you are training at home, you might consider training in your shoes, at least while doing jumps and such. Much cheaper, and they should lessen the impact of jumping.

I think the general recommendation has been 40mm mats as a minimum for any falling or groundwork. 20mm are only really good for forms and standing work and as you are over concrete the 40mm might be better.

Can you put some carpet underlay underneath?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I think the general recommendation has been 40mm mats as a minimum for any falling or groundwork. 20mm are only really good for forms and standing work and as you are over concrete the 40mm might be better.

Can you put some carpet underlay underneath?

Oooh carpet underlay, I didn't think of that. I may even have some. Thanks!

• 3 months later...

I think that 40mm matts are probably the best way to go. That said, jumping shouldn't hurt one way or the other. It might be worth your time to take a look at your technique or even see a physical therapist/chiropractor to give you a consult.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/