• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Umm I have thought aboutmoving in the Muay Thai Direction...

Should I cross train into Muay Thai?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Should I cross train into Muay Thai?

• yes
    • no

I have thought about changing styles because I have found myself Doing Muay Thai type stuff in My ninjitsu/Gung fu training

Example: I always find myself in the coil position I don't know what you call it in muay thai but in ninjitsu that is what we call it Standing on one leg good balance one knee up leg pointed down foot pointed towards ground as high up as knee will allow body pushed together a lil so knee can go higher

Any suggestions? Any recommendations? :o :D

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I would only suggest switching over into Muay Thai if you find that you really don't enjoy your ninjitsu/Gung fu training. I say this because at this point, you may not know whether or not you'll enjoy Muay Thai, either.

Remember, most Martial Arts styles have similar moves. For example, all arts that include hand strikes are going to have a simple jab punch. And that's OK.

As far as taking Muay Thai to supplement your ninjitsu training, that can be okay. But I only recommend you do it after 3 or 4 years of training in ninjitsu/Gung fu. To cross over in the first year or so will probably only confuse you.

Also, make sure you ask your current instructor their opinion. He may not want you train for several reasons: not ready/not a good style to supplement what you already know/good style but local instructors suck/loyalty to the school. Or he may approve.

Either way, it's very important to ask, because doing so without permission shows disrespect, and could get you in some trouble.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

if i were you i would ditch the ninpo training, thats what i did and i didn't regret it, i switched into praying mantis, than after i tried that i took up bjj

you have to have a passion for what you do , and what exactly do you study, gung fu AND ninpo????

"When we go to the ground,you are in my world, the ground is the ocean, I am the shark,

and most people don't even know how to swim"

I figure my gung fu training is as far along as i dare go since if i do rank to black i will be registered as a deadly weapon and dont want that so i want to switch styles Ninjitsu isnt what my master is most adept in so i talked to him and he said aikido would be good

but i want something a lil mroe aggressive I doubt there are any praying mantis around here im in Michigan thanks for advice all of you

• 1 year later...

My Sensei/Si fu (Sensei in ninpo/ninjitsu system and Si fu in Northern Tiger Gung Fu) left me and since I started towards MMA type cross training 1.5 years ago I have started replacing what didn't work with my styles. I have since learned a lot of Capoeira, and a little wing chun stuff, BJJ (rocks!!!) and Jow Gar Kung Fu and plain old boxing. Since I lack a mentor it is a little harder My former Sensei/Si fu trained with me 11 hours out of a day.

But I am in the process of making a movie with some Jow Gar and MMA guys and they are instructors we train monday weds and fri 8pm-11pm.

Like i said i woudl still appreciate and wing chun instructional vids or jow gar or drunken fist. I am open to pretty much whatever instruction videos people have on pc and are willing to share I am also on Direct Connect hubs with DC++ if ya wanna PM me about that i have tons of vids too I mean I had 1 and a half years to acquire em including BJJ stuff.

Shalom

-Noctaeon :D

I figure my gung fu training is as far along as i dare go since if i do rank to black i will be registered as a deadly weapon

Who fed you this line of *? People do not get registered as "deadly weapons" in the US. I don't know about other countries, but here that is purely fiction.

Pain is temporary, glory is forever, and chicks dig scars!

-=pain is weakness leaving the body=-

If there's lead in the air, there is hope in the heart!