• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kyokushinkai Politics

SensiBasha

Hi, I don't know the complete story of the split of the IKO, but when Mas Oyama died, it seems that a struggle for power ensued and the organisation split into three seperate parts. IKO 1, 2, and 3. I am a member of the IKO(GB) which is another, smaller group. It seems though that things are afoot to start a reconcilliation of the entire Kyokushin organisation. I also believe there was a falling out between S.A and M.O before his death (obviously!!) which caused the formation of the BKK out of the IKO. Or something along those lines....politics!!!

Regards,

KG (2nd Kyu - OSU!!).

ps Hi from everyone in Leicester, UK.

• 5 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What I know;

When Sosai Oyama died he left NO single head of Kyokushin, beleiving that the style and teachings were enough for Kyokushin to carry on undistorted. (I believe they were, and still are.)

Other high ranking Kyokushin didnt see it this way, and so many split off forming their own seggrigated groups of Kyokushin, with names like IKO.

I think IKO was set up by Kancho Matsui, but im not too sure, IKO 1-2-3 are groups that branched off the original IKO(International Kyokushin Organisation)

I dont think it really matters what Kyokushin organisation you belong to, as long as the teachings are still that of Sosai, and promote the power of OSU, then we are all Kyokushin brothers and sisters, all +13 million of us.............

Osu.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

• 6 months later...
When Sosai Oyama died he left NO single head of Kyokushin.

I do not know much, but I understood it that he did leave Kancho Matsui as his sucessor and that other shihans were displeased with his choice and a lot of them formed splinter groups.

"I think therefore I am" Rene Descartes

• 5 months later...
When Sosai Oyama died he left NO single head of Kyokushin.

I do not know much, but I understood it that he did leave Kancho Matsui as his sucessor and that other shihans were displeased with his choice and a lot of them formed splinter groups.

What i know is that he haven't name anyone as his successor , but being his favorite student , Matsui took in charge of the IKO and the other shihans were displeased .

As a matter of fact there is more than 25 organizations that hold the name of kyokushin ( one way or another ) and lots of other kyokushin offsets formed b4 and after Sosai died . The question is : Why didn't Sosai name his successor ??

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

That is what I have been lead to believe.

As for the question, I cant answer that, (I dont think anyone can really,) perhaps Sosai knew that appointing a head would cause more problems than it would solve.

IMHO, Sosai didnt name a successor, as he knew that the Kyokushin style was capable of carring itself through the ages, with those whom train it and make Kyokushin-Karate a part of their lives.

Osu.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I believe that currently IKO's 1, 2, and 3 all have their own "world championship" events. I think it would be great if they all reunited because then all of the great fighters from the three organizations would be able to compete against each other without worrying about political reprecussions.