• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Enola Holmes and the Suffragette's Jiu-Jitsu

We watched Enola Holmes on Netflix the other day (https://www.netflix.com/watch/81277950), and it was a fun movie.

Enola's Mom teaches her all sort of things, including jiu-jitsu. This ties into the Sherlock Holmes character being a practitioner of "baritsu" and to the real-life stories of women jiu-jitsu practitioners who fought for the right to vote in the UK. This is one of the big plot points of the movie.

More on that story here: https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/9/29/21493051/enola-holmes-and-the-real-life-jiujitsu-practitioners-who-fought-for-womens-voting-rights

I can't recall hearing this story before. Cool stuff.

Disclosure: My fiancée works for Netflix, but had nothing to do with Enola Holmes.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That's pretty cool. We started watching it on a trip, but haven't got a chance to finish it yet. Baritsu has a pretty cool history in England, and it's a lot of fun to read about.

I've not watched it yet, but I just might give it a try...IF I can watch the darn thing without treating it like a Testing Cycle...for just once!!

:roll:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

It is a fun movie to watch. I really enjoyed it. I already knew about the suffragettes training in jiu jitsu/bartitsu, and was pleased to see that they picked it up for the movie. And they did not go over the top too far with it and kept it relatively realistic (in movie terms, that is).

In my spare time I write novels (nothing published yet, though), mostly historical fiction and fantasy. I studied history at uni before I became a software developer, so I am always eager on researching and getting the details right and I am obsessed with female fighters from different periods of history.

I watched it last night and I mean, I actually watched the movie without feeling like I was at a Testing Cycle; I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!