• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What style is a good addition to Hapkido

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I agree with BlackI its a really complete system. Oh and welcome back BlackI long time no see. :)

However, you could cross train in an area of Hapkido that you really like. For example if you really like the ground work in Hapkido do some Judo or BJJ. If you like the Kicking do TKD, or the striking do some Shotokan, Kyokyshin or MT etc.

Hap Ki Do is a well rounded art. There realy is no need to cross train, but if this is something you would like to do I second BlackI's suggestion. Cross train in an area that really tickles your fancy. What is your favorite area of combat? Cross train there.

2nd Dan Hap Ki Do: What we do in life echos for an eternity!

No matter how much complete any style looks like.... there are always room for improvement..

A style can look complete and well rounded on the paper BUT there's also the Master preferences... maybe the Master likes to join lock and throw more than he likes to Kick, or he likes punch and kick better than ground grappling, etc... I think that's the big problem with the "well rounded/complete" styles..

I'd say Take it, learn from it, and then look what its missing.. No matter how complete a styles looks, you can ALWAYS crosstrain and get better.

• 5 weeks later...
I agree, Hapkido is a pretty solid and complete style. If I really wanted to further my knowledge of martial arts, I would go with something involving more striking like Shotokan, or then again if I wanted more kicking there is always TaeKwondo. I am personally going for Hapkido and Shotokan.

"Defeat is not defeat unless it is accepted as reality in your own mind"

• 3 weeks later...

What arts most closely resemble the striking aspect of Hapkido, and which most closely resemble the grappling aspect? If one does choose to cross train, is it important to stay close to the "roots" of the art in which you're starting out so as not to get too confused?

To that end, what are thoughts on a WC / Hapkido combination?