• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The different kumite of Goju Ryu?

username19853

I’ve recently learned about Toguchi’s contribution, but what I’d like to learn more about are the different kumite of Goju Ryu, specifically:

- Kiso Kumite

- Jissen Kumite

- Ippon Kumite

How do they work, and what are they?

Whenever I find a video of, say, kiso Kumite, I’ll see one partner drill and then multiple variations of that afterwards. Are there different levels within each kiso, jissen and ippon kumite? Or are there only the 3?

Can anyone provide a link explaining them more, or even better, a video of each one? Currently reading Karate: Beaneath The Surface by Kenneth Kamen and it’s intriguing!

Thank you :karate:

• 4 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I am studying "GOJU RYU KARATE - A VISUAL GUIDE TO KUMITE, Goshi Yamaguchi"which explaines the different forms and intentions of kumite. It's an interesting read, if you're interested in the yamaguchi lineage of goju ryu.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a lot of kumite forms in Goju Ryu.

The foundation is Kakie. It helps with reflexes, attacking, counter, balance and to get a feeling of how a opponent behaves when challenged. If you master Kakie you will have a real good foundation for all other forms of kumite.

The next variation is probably Ippon kumite, or rather Kihon ippon kumite. One attack, one defence and one counter attack.

After that we have San dan gi, three level techniques. Very fun and can be very free,

But there are also Sanbon and Gohon kumite, three and steps sparring, kiso and bunkai kumite, ju/jiyu kumite and other variations.

Not all forms of kumite are used in all styles, and some have even more variations.

There are a lot of kumite forms in Goju Ryu.

The foundation is Kakie. It helps with reflexes, attacking, counter, balance and to get a feeling of how a opponent behaves when challenged. If you master Kakie you will have a real good foundation for all other forms of kumite.

The next variation is probably Ippon kumite, or rather Kihon ippon kumite. One attack, one defence and one counter attack.

After that we have San dan gi, three level techniques. Very fun and can be very free,

But there are also Sanbon and Gohon kumite, three and steps sparring, kiso and bunkai kumite, ju/jiyu kumite and other variations.

Not all forms of kumite are used in all styles, and some have even more variations.

Welcome to KF, Samlarenl glad that you're here!!

Solid post!!

:bowofrespect:

**Proof is on the floor!!!