• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question about Ryukyu and Okinawa/Samurai Champloo

Alright, if you’ve seen the anime show Samurai Champloo, you might know what I’m talking about! I’m pretty sure this takes place in the Edo period.

There’s a scene where one of the main characters, Mugen, is fighting a samurai somewhere in Japan. At one point Mugen says “I come from Ryukyu.” And then the samurai freaks out in fear.

So, if this wasn’t just something in the show...

Why would someone from mainland Japan be intimidated by someone from Ryukyu? What was so beastly about the islands? I know Okinawa was a part of Ryukyu, and that’s where karate came from - but that’s all I can figure.

Any thoughts or ideas?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have never seen this show, but I do study Japanese history, specifically military history. From my opinion, this is strictly fiction made for the show. The Ryukyu Kingdom was never a threat to Japan nor were they considered individual threats to samurai. When the Shimazu Clan invaded Okinawa in 1609, they easily defeated Ryukyuan forces.

Obviously, karate was imported from Okinawa with Gichin Funakoshi in the twentieth century, and Japan thoroughly embraced that style of martial arts. However, what you describe in the show I believe is anachronistic, portraying thoughts of today to yesteryear.

Just my 2 cents.

Godan in Ryukyu Kempo

Head of the Shubu Kan Dojo in Watertown, NY

(United Ryukyu Kempo Alliance)