IdiotSavant

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have become quite the convert to the Meijin brand Dogi. The tails are long (like Anshin) and they run around 99.00 without embroidery.

IS Anshin still in Business? A student of mine was trying to order a Dogi from them earlier this month and was unable to cantact them.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

I like the Juka brand gi's from Dragon International. I have one (Jukado) from them that I love. The top is longer than traditional cuts and is made for cross training in karate and jujitsu/judo with more stitching on the lapel and is sewn differntly on the shoulders (there is no seam like regular gi to get torn off while grapling). Check 'em out. I'm sure you'll like 'em. They are all brushed-cotton canvas.

If you are getting a gi that will be your primary gi, spend the extra bucks 9up to $120 US and get one that will last many years.

Dragon International: https://www.juka.com

Aslo try: https://www.kamikazeusa.com

NidanWarrior

I just bought a Satori gi (http://www.satori-gi.com), 12 oz cotton traditional cut. It was 109 dollars (that's for the smallest size they have, price goes up with size) and the jacket is supposed to be mid-thigh but it's a little longer than that on me. I like that it comes with 3/4 length sleeves & pants so you don't have to get them hemmed up. I haven't actually trained in it yet, it's cut to allow for shrinkage so you have to wash/dry it several times before it will fit and I keep forgetting to take it out of the washer :roll:

Chh,

I see you decided on the Satori Gi :brow: Nothing beats a custom made gi :up: Not bad prices either, I paid $130.00 for mine which is alot cheaper than many of the Japanese brand gis :D So far mine has held up well during training and multiple washes :) Perhaps the best $$ I've spent on a uniform thus far :karate:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Yeah, thanks largely to your review :) I didn't get a custom size as they believed the canned size 3 would fit me well. Funny, one of the reasons I got it was that I wanted the longer jacket, but I guess I'm so used to the short jackets it looks positively bizarre in the mirror. I feel like I'm wearing a giant smock. Will be training in it tonight, I suspect I'll be so happy that I can lift my arms without my jacket pulling out of my belt I'll forget how weird it seems.

You guys really need to start practicing with no gi. Wearing a gi is unrealistic for street fighting and vale tudo.

Giovanni Clark

Clark Vale Tudo

Bangkok, Thailand

You guys really need to start practicing with no gi. Wearing a gi is unrealistic for street

Maybe so down there in the Southern Asia. Up here in the north of Scandinavia we live at the chilly tundra level and wear coats year round. You can easily apply any gi methods to a leather jacket.

I suppose it depends on which style you practice. I think that most styles have it pretty well worked out though; most styles that wear a gi are not inhibited by them, and styles that don't wear a gi feel it suits them just fine. Personally, my gi is very similar to what I wear normally, depending on the season. In the summer we can just wear t-shirts, no gi jacket (we wear shirts with the school logo to keep it all uniform), and all the rest of the year we wear a jacket as well.

Whether or not a gi is realistic for its style/on the street, could be an interesting topic. Perhaps a new thread could be started on this, with some good supporting evidence to back your points.

However, try to remember that the original point of this thread is to learn what gi brands would be best for IdiotSavant.

He needs a gi and probably has no control over whether or not he gets to wear one, so let's try to keep this on topic ;) .

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.