• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate and the ADA

MAD Mike

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My apology: The ADA is the Americans with Disabilities Act.

I program for my Dojos, so forgive me.

I was trying to assimilate my Sensei's direction with two potential amputee students, was having difficulty solving for Direction.

Thank you.

Marshal

I'll be honest; I have no idea what your Sensei means by that statement, so I'm also not sure how it would apply to the ADA. I mean, you use stances throughout karate, regardless of where you practice it or use it. Someone in a wheelchair, for instance, would have a "stance," but it would be the stance of their wheelchair, rather than their legs. And are we actually talking about "stances" or are we talking about "postures," or about more generally moving bodyweight?

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I think what he was saying was with regard to traditional instruction pertaining to "Return to your Dojo" (post protect self), take your Dojo with you wherever you go.

In other words always be ready to defend yourself or others.

I was just grappling with Chinese translations of the words place, stance, and disabilities.

Thanks..

Marshal