• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Would anyone use this training tool?

https://www.amazon.com/VAlinks-Resistance-Taekwondo-Basketball-Volleyball/dp/B0894SRJDZ/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=boxing+resistance+training+bands&qid=1596723412&sprefix=boxing+res&sr=8-5

I’m well aware that it’s not traditional, and old fashioned hard work is best. But I still think this would be fun to use when I’m at home. I’m wondering if the resistance bands would even work when punching from the arm being chambered on the hip (shotokan style hikite).

Any thoughts? Would you use this? Any routines you can share that you’d use this for?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

They can be interesting to experiment with, and there are exercises you can do with them very effectively. Such as squats for example.

They do not work well for punching in my experience. You are better attaching a band to a post, rather than yourself, when it comes to resistance bands and punching. It better alligns with the muscle groups you are working.

R. Keith Williams

From a physics standpoint, the line of resistance should be behind you and opposing your motion in the same plane as the punch. With it clipped at your waist, it has a downward component to the force.

At my previous school, we used to tie a few bicycle inner tubes together and make a long loop. We’d attach one end to a carabiner and the other end would either be in our hand or around an ankle. He had several carabiners at different heights to get as straight a line as possible.

We’d also put them around our waist and a partner would hold us back while we advanced forward while punching or kicking.

The product you linked to has a specific advantage over what I’ve used - you can move around freer. We couldn’t do much movement beyond a step or very short shuffle forward.

I keep seeing this type of training tool pop up on my Instagram. I think there are a fair few MMA fighters using it.

It looks like it is basically using resistance bands for training but having the benefit of not having to hand someone hold them or anchor them. Though I would echo JR's comment about the resistance being in the wrong direction. Sometimes we use resistance bands at training but you always have to align the band in the same plane as the movement.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Well, I'd try just about anything once, especially if I see value in it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I mean, I'd try it but not with just a notion, I'd work the tar out of it before I kicked it right to the curb.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!