• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Goju Kai newbie

Moegster

Hello everyone, I am a 36 years old Goju Kai newbie from the netherlands. I started with karate at te beginning of the COVID-19 period.. so had to train outside or follow some online classes but that didn't stop me. I hope to train many years and grow as a person. Furthermore, i hope to learn alot from other karateka's here, maybe get some advice :P

If there are any Goju Kai practicioners.. do you have any advice for a newbie? Advice on good reference materials? Videos, DVD's, books? My internet search on good reference materials only resulted in finding stuff from IOGKF :P But Goju Kai info is hard to find, so any advice on this matter would be more than welcome :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Welcome, Moegster! :karate: The best advise? Listen to your instructor, and practice, practice, practice at home!

Thanks for the welcome peeps! Yes, I really like my sensei! The way he teaches feels very good, he always seems to be able to explain (complex) techniques in a way that a beginner can understand :) There is so much i want to learn!

I am also a Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu (Sugino line) student, and reference material helps to learn i.e. the pattern of a kata, or names of different strikes and stances. So for reviewing and practicing at home, good reference material can help alot :D

Nothing can replace a good sensei, a photo or video misses a lot of essential details. But it can help/support in one's learning proces.

First, welcome to Karate Forums. The first text that springs to mind is Goju Ryu Karate: Karate Do Kyohan as written by Yamaguchi Gogen himself.

Giles Hopkins has done some good work on the applications of Goju-Ryu kata. I always highly recommend the works of Michael Clarke, and translations of old texts as done by Patrick McCarthy such as the Bubishi.

R. Keith Williams

• 4 months later...

Update: I found (and ordered!) three books that seems to cover alot of the Goju Ryu (Goju Kai) basics and even advanced techniques. First is an oldie, Goju-Ryu Karate A visual guide to kumite techniques (By Goshi Yamaguchi). Second title is GOJU-RYU KATA SERIES vol.1, Japan Karatedo Gojukai Association. Third one is the same title as the last mentioned but then the vol. 2 version. They're great resources when at home wondering what the sensei explained or what order the moves in a certain kata were.. especially during covid lockdown, trying do keep practicing at home :(

Update: I found (and ordered!) three books that seems to cover alot of the Goju Ryu (Goju Kai) basics and even advanced techniques. First is an oldie, Goju-Ryu Karate A visual guide to kumite techniques (By Goshi Yamaguchi). Second title is GOJU-RYU KATA SERIES vol.1, Japan Karatedo Gojukai Association. Third one is the same title as the last mentioned but then the vol. 2 version. They're great resources when at home wondering what the sensei explained or what order the moves in a certain kata were.. especially during covid lockdown, trying do keep practicing at home :(

Sounds like a great start to a library!