• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Last week my kickboxing trainer told our class that he needed fighters to compete in a novice competition in march(we have been training since May, no fights). Four of us thought it would be good experience and signed up. What he neglected to say was that it was going to be full contact :o . Now I'm wondering wether or not a full contact novice fight is the right way to break into fighting.

What are other peoples opinion on the subject.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That really depends on how you feel.

There are two aspects to getting hit for the first time: Mental and Physical.

Mentally, you need to ask yourself: Am I going to freak out? When I first got hit in a sparring match, I thought absolutely nothing of it. In hindsight, I'm surprised I didn't feel outraged that my partner had just hit me. But then again, I wasn't doing full contact. You need to make sure that you can keep your head clear after being hit.

Physically, you need to know how much of a beating you can take. Punching yourself in the gut isn't going to be much of a help, either ;)

What I would suggest is that you get some practice fights in before March. Try asking your instructor if he can let you fight some of the upper ranks...he may even let fight you himself! Either way, you want to make sure you have a partner that you can trust to start off slow. Test your conditioning by taking a few light shots to scoring areas, then gradually have your partner pick up the power until you can't take it anymore. This will help you prepare mentally & physically for getting hit.

After you've gotten used to getting hit, work on technique with your partner. There's a huge difference between what you learn in class and applying it to a real fight. Getting over any nervousness ("OMG OMG OMG I'm fighting") will be useful too.

Also, what is the level of fighting gear (if any) you are allowed to use? If you've determined that you can't really take the beating (but still want to go on), you may want to invest in a chest protector/something similar. Decide now so that it can be ordered and arrive in plenty of time. Try to get one that hooks over the shoulders so it stays up, but isn't too bulky so that it obstructs your kicks.

Finally, as the date of the fight draws nearer, but you still don't feel confident enough to fight, remember that it's OK to back down. This fight will definitely be an incredible learning experience, but you could also get seriously hurt. Your instructor obviously thinks you can do it, or he wouldn't let you go (I should hope). Bottom line: it's your decision.

Good luck! :karate:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Even though its full contact we are still wearing the full protective gear monkeygirl i.e head gear, 12 oz gloves, foot pads, and shin guards. We tend to do a lot of sparring so i'm used to getting hit. Even though my instuctor says he will train us outside of regular class times I wonder am I jumping in at the deep end having a full contact fight for a first fight.

Ah, so you mean your first competitive fight...

Sorry, I thought you meant that you'd never fought before. Period.

That explains some things ;)

In that case, you'll do fine...like I said, try practicing receiving full contact and getting used to it.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

it all depends on how comfortable you are

personally competition brings about alot of anxiety and ive been fighting compeititivlely for a good 3 years now.....but there is always a first time and you are gonna have to bust your cherry sometime man....so go for it

Your first fight is an entirely mental barrier. My first fight was in Iowa for the IKF belt! I felt more than a little out of place :) The whole first round all I could think was man this guy really wants to kick my A$$! Remember you are not sparring anymore you have to fight like you mean it and be prepared to be hit as hard as you can.

Rock Paper Scissor

Punch Knee Kick

^ME^ ^MY DOJO^

There really is no set time for A fighter to be ready for there frist match,Everyone is different.If you have what it takes to be A fighter training since may should be enough time to enter your first match as long as you are evenly matched. Your trainer more than likley believes that you have what it takes or they would not allow you to compete yet.

I have had some fighters that have had 15 fights before training 1 year. This is not the norm but an example of how each fighter develops at different times.

tommybeeatafc@yahoo.com

https://www.ringoffirekickboxing.com

• 5 weeks later...