• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you won the lottery....

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, I wouldn't have to worry about paying for testing, so that would help out a lot. It'd probably open up some more time for me to train, too.

I don't think it would change much, to be honest. Maybe I would move to a slightly bigger place and build myself a home gym. And maybe I would hire a personal trainer on a regular basis. But all in all how much I train is more limited by my personal energy and recovery time. I train kayokushin 2 to 3 times a week, and in the phases when we train 3 times, that about does it for me. I don't think I could handle much more.

Well, it would certainly make starting my own dojo MUCH easier, once the pandemic subsides. I could actually buy my own space, instead of renting, which would be awesome! Not to mention all the equipment I could buy outright, brand new.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I would probably do a few of the trips I have been thinking of but not had the chance to do yet.

- Train at the Shaolin Monastary for three months.

- Visit Fujian Province on a research trip.

- Go for an extended stay in Okinawa. A couple of years at the least.

Build a dojo for myself but also as a community space for my town and for other activites. Ultimately, go full time with my karate teaching and training.

R. Keith Williams

Definitely would buy my own dojang and fitness centre. Could teach students without having to worry about overheads.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Everything would depend on the amount of the winnings. If it were enough to make it possible, then most of it would be spent on living expenses while pursuing a long period of intensive training, research and study of karate and other personal interests. Some of it would be invested to make more money and some of it would be given to family and of course to the instructor who has given so much time and energy to teach all he knows.

I've no idea how, if at all, a lottery windfall would affect my MA training. After all, I'm 62 years old, of which I've trained in the MA ever since 1964---55 years; I've no MA bucket list for me to consider anymore.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Great question! It's one I've considered, not quite literally like winning the lottery, but what I would do if I had the money, and more importantly, Time to do whatever.

It would be great to have a nice dojo, with hardwood floors, Asian-motif decorating (bamboo, shoji screens, hewn beams, etc.). An area with tatami, and another with heavy bags and makiwara. Good HVAC, too. It would be great to bring in leading instructors, for individual training.

Having more time, I'd still probably only train 2-3 times a week for a couple of hours. Recovery time and avoiding injury are important, and money can't change that!

That said, part of the simple beauty of martial arts is, it's cheap, and almost anyplace can be a dojo. I've trained in basements, school gyms and wrestling rooms, storefronts, warehouses, fitness centers, firehouses, parks, the beach...[/b]